Monday, June 30, 2014

Y is for WHY




Can I just say, that is was the absolute worst and best camping trip we have ever had. Just thinking about it makes me cry. The good: my kids having fun with each other, the fun places we visited, and my kids. The worst: Ty.
Why? I wish I knew what his problem was. And I am having a terrible time forgiving and letting go my anger and disappoint. He asks me why I can't just let it go... hmmmm, maybe he asked me yesterday, the same day we got home? Can I just forgive him today? Why should I? I told him that I am not going on any more camping trips with him, and he says that he didn't know that I was a quitter. What the heck?

Talk about falling back to old ways. Ty's excuse for everything, as he told the kids and myself, was that we did not follow his lead and go by his schedule. Well if any of us knew what his schedule was, I am sure that we would all have been right there with him. But we didn't.
Just getting to our destination was horrible.  Ty had printed out the directions, I read them to him - verbatim, telling him how many miles and Google's guessitimate amount of time. When Ty gets a lost (twice), he blames it all on me. Barking at me, making me feel stupid in front of the three younger kids. Every time we drove somewhere, he blamed me if we got lost. My older boys were so mad at him, they were pissed that he was blaming me for everything when we all just followed his directions.

The only plan I knew for sure was that we were going to the campsite, set up camp, and head over to the amusement park. I had found out that on Thursday nights, if you bring in a can of Pepsi, unlimited rides bracelets were only $13.00, usually they are a little over thirty. I figured that we would get the amusement park out of the way and then we could just focus on camping. Apparently that wasn't Ty's plan. He had all of these beaches and stuff to visit and he planned on going back to the amusement park.

The kids slept in and made us get a late start for all his plans. The air mattresses went flat. Grrr
Everything and anything that went wrong was my fault. He was rude, belittling, and mean. When he started barking at the kids, I would get in the way of his wrath. They didn't deserve his shit.

The good, oh my gosh, it was my kids. I have never felt so good as I did while spending time with them or watching them hang out together. Ty missed most of it because he was too miserable to see what was right in front of his face. Things like hanging out at the campground, all of them playing games with each other. The laughter alone was heartwarming. We all went on a hike together. Even Ty. Just a little side note, you will be seeing me at the gym. The kids were constantly walking with different siblings. They laughed and pointed out things to each other. And when I thought that I was going to die and that I couldn't go another more, My second son stopped and rested with me, claiming that he needed to stretch a little. This is the son who is in better shape than any of us. He works out at the gym six days a week. This is the son who is so quiet and reserved, the one I miss the most. And he waited with me, twice. I get teary just thinking about it. Ty was nice about it too. He didn't give me a bad time. But he is a drill sergeant and he keeps us moving forward.

Ty wanted to go back to the amusement park the next night. I am glad that we did. We were there kind of late and there was a free band playing on the beach. The kids had brought a soccer ball and they all started playing around with the ball. They were taking shots, making steals and passes, tackles, and having fun. Note to self: too old to play soccer with them anymore.

The other beaches we visited, Mystery Spot, and hanging out at the campsite were the best times. The S'mores of course were the favorites for everyone.

I am saddened that the mood, overall, was tense and stressful. I don't know if Ty is aware of how much control he has over all of us. And the older three (and myself) never want to go camping again.

This morning, Ty is his usual self. Not even aware of the anger and the unforgiving thoughts that I am feeling. This behavior at camp, was the old Ty. It didn't just hurt me but it also hurt the kids. One of his excuses is that we haven't gone camping since we started DD. Well we went twice last year.  It is unsettling for the rest of us. And I know that I need to find a way to let it go and help him to make amends to the kids. I hope that he figures this out.

WHY???  Is there a reason that he had to be his old self? WHY????  Is there some reason to forgive and start over?  WHY, WHY, WHY????????
 And why is it that I am the one expected to accept what happened and not be angry anymore. A reconnect? That sounds good (she says sarcastically), hurt feeling and a sore bum.

Okay, okay, you got me. You know that this is exactly what will probably happen. Ty will try and make amends some other way. I will accept whatever kind of apology he gives and he will have learned and changed by the next camping trip, and we will probably have the reconnect Tuesday night.

WHY, because that is how it works around here. Domestic Discipline has made our marriage so good. That DD will work again and we will move forward.





9 comments:

  1. I hope in time you will remember JUST the parts about the kids. I love the story about your son sitting with you. That made me well up. The rest? I understand..I wish I didn't, but I do.

    You know where I am. And if you don't seek me out I'm going to USE that phone number ! Be prepared for the Canadian accent...

    Love you
    willie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah....memories have a way of setting on the good parts.....your kids sound awesome. As to the why's....we all have those.
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I knew why this stuff happens. Different circumstances, but it has happened here as well. Being annoying and detective like I can't let things go till I figure out why and I do insist that my husband own it, help me figure out what to avoid/plan for the future and THEN it all gets reconciled with a spanking b/c as you said...that is what we do. I'm horrible at letting go of the 'why'. I have been walloped during this process for what I believe he called "excessive disrespect" and it's not worth it Blondie. The others are right. You two will sort it out in your own way and you will in time remember the good parts and put the rest behind you. I hope you can go camping again...it sounds like that kind of get away is really good for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Blondie...I am sorry you had such a rough time. I hope Ty can acknowledge his bad behavior and make amends to you and the children. Sending lots of prayers, healing energy and positive thoughts your way.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad the dd makes the marriage better and that you can appreciate this. How awesome that your kids still love to get away with you and Ty and that they love on each other. I'm sure you'll have great memories to share of this camping trip. Camping in CA is definitely on my bucket list. Have an awesome summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww Blondie, I'm so sorry. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time with the kids and that they had such a great time together. The story of your son stopping with you made me smile.

    I too am glad you appreciate how DD works for your marriage and hope that Ty is able to make amends and that you can move forward together.

    ((Hugs))
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big hugs to you Blondie!! I'm sorry that your camping trip was tough due to Ty 's poor choice of behavior. I hope that he is able to own it and apologize to you all.

    You have my utmost admiration because in the midst of it all, you were able to pull out precious moments with your children and make positive memories with and for them. You are a great mom! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there Blondie,
    I get this. My hubby used to be a total bear on family vacations, and we never could figure out why. Then we'd get home and he'd be so full of regret, and I'd have no sympathy or forgiveness. We did have several long talks and thankfully, it's totally improved.

    It's important that our men see themselves through their families eyes - even if it hurts. Ultimately, what they want is good family times and good family relationships, so sometimes we have to hold up a mirror and make them look. Hopefully you will find the right time to do that - a time when he's tender and ready. And then you can look forward to future trips together without all the yuck - 'cuz they are pretty wonderful.

    Glad you had such marvelous connections with your kids though :)
    hugs,
    Cali

    ps: It's also VERY cathartic to spank a naughty hubby - for both sides. Just sayin. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big hugs Blondie,

    I agree with Cali, I hope he can see himself through his families eyes. I remember my dad being a bear on vacation, and I know how that can affect everyone's mood. I also know, I've acted like that on vacation a time or two in the past, and instead of saying what was bothering me, I would just get cranky. I'm sure the two of you will talk and work through it. I know how hard it is to let it go when their behavior upsets you, I still don't know how to do that. I can always forgive, but acknowledgment and ownership of poor behavior is a must first. I do hope you have that reconnect soon, and I hope future trip will be enjoyable for everyone, your kids sound absolutely adorable. I'm happy you were able to make great memories with and for them :)

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete