Thursday, January 8, 2015

Memories and Teens and Secrets


Please tell me that I am not the only one who feels this way. There are days, when you are just so frustrated with your kids. You tell them to do one thing and they do the opposite. The things that they want to tell me that everyone else does and I tell them that that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. And then the dates some of them bring home. You know that song, the one girl that you don't
take home to mother, yeah one of those girls. Which is kind of ironic since I always thought that it would be exciting to be one of those girls. I just want to throw my hands up in the air and scream.


Or, sometimes that urge of being the girl you don't want to take home to mother makes it's appearance. All the things that I could have been a rebel and done, I can do now. I wonder how my kids would feel if I wasn't their mom, the soccer mom who takes them to church. I make them clean their rooms, do their homework, won't let them go to bonfires, get mad at them for trying weed, driving a minivan, and always being there for them.
click here
I ran across this song that I remember hearing about five years ago. It is so me and probably so like all the girls I hung out with. It's called 985 by Bowling for Soup. By the way, I graduated from High School in 1985. (Yes, 30 years ago)
 
Debbie just hit the wall
She never had it all
One Prozac a day
Husband's a CPA
Her dreams went out the door
When she turned twenty four
Only been with one man
What happened to her plan?
 
She was gonna be an actress
She was going to be a star
She was goona shake her ass
On the hood of Whitesnake's car
Her yellow SUV is now the enemy
Looks at her average life
And nothing has been alright since
 
Chorus
Bruce Springsteen, Madonna
Way before Nirvana
There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
Her two kids in high school
They tell her that she's uncool
Cause she's still preoccupied
with 19, 1985
 
She 's seen all the classics
She knows every line
Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink
Even St. Elmo's Fire
She rocked out to Wham
Not a big Limp Bizkit fan
Thought she's get a hand
On a member of Duran Duran
 
Where's the mini-skirt made of snake skin
And who's the other guy that's singing in Van Halen
When did reality become T.V.
Whatever happened to sitcoms, games shows
(on the radio was)
Chorus
She hates time make it stop
When did Motley Crue become classic rock?
And when did Ozzy become an actor?
Please make this stop, stop
stop!
and bring back
Chorus
 
But guess what, now that I think about it, I have my secret life that the kids don't know about. They might not approve of their parents doing it but they may think it's cool that other people are kinky.





 
 
 



 


 

19 comments:

  1. Hang in there Blondie...there were days I offered to pay someone, anyone to take my kids...and the kid that is the most like you is the one that gets on your nerves the worst! ;) When they get really bad, sit back, tune them out and think about something really fun. ;) Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your lips to God's ears. When they were little I would threaten that I was going to take them "home" to the zoo to live with the other monkeys. And now, I pull out the old photo albums to remind me of those precious moments, knowing that there will be good memories again. It's funny how you say that the one that is most like me get on my nerves the most because I only see the parts of Ty in them. Especially as a teenager.... Lol

      Delete
  2. Someday you'll get to enjoy watching your offspring go through the same things with their offspring. it is a mother's revenge.
    As you say, at least you have your 'secret life'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I had my daughter, I started apologizing to my mother for everything that I put her through, hoping that it would save me from the mothers revenge. Didn't help a whole lot. Lol And I do have my "secret life" to keep me sane in the meantime

      Delete
  3. I'm with the others Blondie, hang in there!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying but yesterday was one of those days that I wanted to run away! They are the most stubborn, independent, and surprising children that I have ever known. Ty says the stubbornness comes from me, I don't think so.

      Delete
  4. My secret life does help me hang in there. Now I have the kids - particularly my daughter, telling her dad and me to 'get a room' at times. This is if we even touch or give one another a little kiss. My answer is always, 'We've got one, you're in it, get out.' You're on the winning side, hold on a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you have a personality also a great relationship with your kids. I know that we gross out our kids when we are kissing or anything like that. They also all know that our Tuesday night "date night" we are having sex. But they don't know the rest..... In a couple of weeks, I will have four teens and a 21 year old, all still living at home. I need to find a place of my own since they don't seem motivated to move out.

      Delete
  5. As you know, there are times I sit there and cry longing for my little boy and wondering what I did wrong? LOL. Apparently this is the thing a number of mothers of teens do. Insert friends coming to the rescue, " they are all great kids " ( pfft live with them! LOL), " I went through it too, I thought this kid is never going to amount to anything and live in my basement forever. Look at him now....hang in there" ( sure if I don't hang someone first! ). Cat is right though, G is most like me in so many ways. Barney just looks at me like ' thanks for the genes" LOL! I then sit back and try to remember HONESTLY what it felt like to be a teen. Not many feel like they have the world by the horns. They are terrified. Sure they cover it with arrogance, be deep down so much is going on in there.

    Actually I will credit ttwd for communicating better with our teens. ( although man or man I wish I could credit it for allowing me to use Barney's arsenal on them! ). At least your kinky little word allows you and Ty to focus on just the two of you. If only for Tuesday nights at least!

    Much Love Willie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *good grief..."kinky little WORLD not word ( just ignore the other typos thx)

      Delete
    2. I didn't even catch the typo. Lol
      Since you are one of the lucky ones that I bitch to, lucky you, I can honestly say that commiserating with others really does help. And the ttwd relationship has definitely helped out with our parenting.

      Delete
  6. Am I ever frustrated with my kids? Please tell me I'm not the only one? Oh, Blondie, friend, I can promise you that you are not the only one. I love my kids more than life itself...but some days I want to go a land far far away so I do not need to see them or hear them - hmmm, in fact, yesterday was one of those days. Fortunately it was only one child so they are not tag teaming me...but goodness I try to be a patient and loving mommy and nothing was working so patience went out the window. And my kids haven't even reached their teen years yet. Hopefully they and I will survive. :-) But so nice to have a secret life. :-) And I remember that song well. Hugs to you and hang in there...and I will too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one living through this time. Ty tells me that I will miss all of this some day. I usually gag at that. My mom has tended to forget the bad and only remembers the good, which is nice for me. I was such a perfect daughter. Lol We will survive, the kids might not but we will

      Delete
    2. my mom says I was the perfect daughter too - hee hee - I was also very sensitive and cried a lot and I remember her telling me "I hope you have a daughter just like you someday" and I do - she is a little more fiery than I was but still... :-)

      Delete
  7. Oh Blondie, it does go really fast! I can't believe mine are grown up already. Soon you will be suffering from empty nest syndrome!!
    love Jan,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Empty nest seems so far away. I will probably have grandchildren before the last one moves out. Right now we just cherish our few moments of alone time. I know that I will miss parts of this time of life someday but I have to just get through it now. But thanks for giving me a positive outlook

      Delete
  8. I'm glad that you have your secret life, and that it helps, Blondie! :) It is fun and is a nice break from all that goes on, isn't it? Hang in!

    There are days that try our souls for sure! Trust me- I've now seen the lot of it! And sometimes it is hard to take a teen's disrespect without taking it personally. I've teared up on more than one occasion with that kind of stuff. The good news is that they grow up, and even though they perhaps now, as teens, will not always present you with the reassurance that they are out in the world trying to do the right things/be good people at times, you can rest assured that all of your teachings did not fall on deaf ears. I do love hearing other parents tell me how respectful and lovely my kids are. The teen stuff- they aren't supposed to let us in on that so much, apparently!! And for sure, because home is a "safe haven" they know that in the presence of those that they love the most, after keeping it together all day long, out in the big world, they feel that they can come home and let loose. Hopefully that is just a little! LOL! It's very hard sometimes!

    We are going to make it through! And the others are right. What goes around, comes around. And we will get to spoil the grands and watch our kids go through the same. Hurray!! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so late to this. Last week just got away from me.

    I think toddlers and 18-25 year olds are the worst. At both ages our kids think they can be their absolute worst and we have to just sit back and take their crud. It does change and all of a sudden they're dealing with an unreasonable two year old and you become much smarter and deserving of their respect again. I think the right before they leave is one of the hardest times. Maybe you and Ty can find a few weekends to get away by yourselves during this time. I'm all ears if you need to vent. Been there and survived it. Empty nest does happen eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Kids at any age are a disaster. When they are babies the shit and puke all day, and when they do not, they cry, when they are young they want to know WHY? Like I know Why! Haven't got a clue to Why most things are like they are. After that you are always wrong. And Clara think that 18-25 are the worst.

    Soooo, sell them to the highest bidder!
    Oh, no.
    If you do that please offer me a first bid.

    Han

    ReplyDelete