Recently, I have had a few blog friends ask me if I would ever tell my daughter about DD. My initial reaction is
"NO WAY".
I have a fourteen year old daughter who is a freshman in high school. She is into the normal stuff; friends, boyfriends, make up, shopping and having fun. I feel that it is my job to teach her to be strong and independent.
At this age, she needs to know that nobody has any business telling her what to wear, who to talk to, who to be friends with, what time she goes to bed, what she should eat - none of that. And if she ever has to ask "do I have to..." with anything to do with sex, then the answer is NO.Then there is that "but"...........if it has been so good for my marriage wouldn't I want to share this advice with her? At least after she is engaged to be married, maybe? I wish I had known about DD a long time ago, it would have made such a difference in our marriage.
I would assume that there will never be a time in her life when she will want to know the intimate details of her parent's relationship. And I think she would be angry if she ever heard that her dad spanked me. So what would I say?Okay, so I am going to go out on a limb here but these are my thoughts on Domestic Discipline....
- I think that there has to be alot of trust for DD to really work and trust takes time.
- I believe that a woman needs to know the difference between abuse and DD.
- I think that my marriage would have to be a positive role model.
So I guess the answer to the question would have to be maybe......
What would I tell her, you ask?
Definitely not much, if any, intimate details would be shared.
I would let her know how our marriage works. That Dad is the head of the household. He is the one with the final say. He takes care of our family. And I trust him enough to submit to him. I would tell her that there needs to be one leader. But they should still be partners, her opinion should matter and her husband must be fair and loving. I may even suggest a few websights or blogs to look at.
Please don't ask me if I would ever tell my boys. They are all, alreaalphamales. They'll figure it out..... But never, ever, so don't even ask, will I admit to being a spanko............




LOL, good post, I too have a high school aged daughter and while I'd never openly admit to the possibilities of me being a spank-o (or my "H" being one), I would want her to know about what sort of marriage we have, maybe just not so many details.. O_o
ReplyDeleteI have to wonder...do your kids already understand all the stuff about dad, especially about him taking care of the family? Would they verbalize it without even really needing to think about it, because it's what they see every day. Won't it be fun to talk to them 10 years from now when they are very grown and they look back?
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post. We have teens, and I sometimes wonder what they pick up on as far as the changes that my husband and I have been through these last two years. I agree, the guys can figure it out.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the girl teens, I can see that it really needs to be left out of young relationships. Even at the college level, IMO. I've read about this age group dabbling in the Dom/sub thing and it worries me. Not enough relationship/life experience IMO to go so far with things. It's best left out until the trust and understanding can grow to a decent level. I've heard stories of things going terribly wrong. It's disheartening.