As I put up the ornaments on the tree I have been reminiscing of Christmas pasts. I buy my children a new ornament every year. It usually has something to do with what they were doing at that time of life. And when they move out, I'll give them their ornaments and they will have some to start with for their own tree. No, it was not my original idea but it's a good one. Well, you can imagine the memories flowing back as I hung each ornament.
The first few that we got were ones that said "our 1st Christmas together" and "our new home". That was a fun time in our lives. Everything was so new and exciting. Sharing our traditions. Okay, honestly, we spent most of our first few questions in bed or in front of the fireplace. Ahh those were the days
Then came kids. You have "first Christmas ornaments".
And the Disney characters, crayons, backpacks, camping and for mom and dad - the mom and dad ornaments. When the kids were little, Christmas was magical. Everything was new. And the stars that shone in their eyes when they thought about Santa. The crazy thing is that when they are little, the gifts are big and they overtake your house. Stuffed animals, tricycles, dolls, balls, Rescue Heroes, Little People, and on and on.The little kids take forever to open their presents and the thank yous just fly out of their mouths. It is a purely innocent time of life.
As they grew, we tried to share with them the reason for the season. We began with Advent, Christmas Eve services, the Nativity scene and the Happy Birthday Jesus. That was actually a good time. They learned about the gift of giving.
Then they become teenagers. Their gifts are small yet expensive. They don't understand why they can't have everything they want. And spending their own money to purchase gifts for other is unfathomable. Ok, maybe they aren't that bad. They do like to help decorate and bake. They work at the shelters and enjoy the Christmas lights.
This year it is all different. It almost feels like it's Our First Christmas together again. DD has changed to much of our lives. My husband and I have embraced our new life whole heartily. The love and security I now feel is so new. I wish that I could announce to the world why B and I are crazy in love. The hugs and kisses and the lack of arguments in our house I am sure have mystified some. It just feels great!
I know that many of you feel the same way. We blog because we can't share DD with just anybody.
And yet I want to shout from the highest rooftop:
DOMESTIC DISCIPLINE - FEEL THE LOVE!!!
This Christmas, we have a secret that we can't share. We give each other presents in private because we can't show them to others.
Spoken like a true HoH
I don't think her saying shut up is going to help much.........
To all my new friends and new DD sisters, Have a Very Merry Christmas and Holiday Season!





Hi Blondie,
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog and will be looking forward to coming back and reading more. It is our first Christmas with Dd too and it's so very different and wonderful!
HI Susie, Thanks for reading my blog. Happy First Christmas! I wonder if we can find DD x-mas cards....... lol
ReplyDeleteI just put up a new post and then happened by here. We started Dd just before (only days actually) Christmas two years ago. Christmas will always be more special b/c of that fact.
ReplyDeleteMy oldest son, teenager, came to me the other day and asked, "How much money are you giving me to buy presents". Seriously? Needless to say, he's since figured it out. lol! It ain't happening without effort on his part!
I love revisiting those memories with the ornaments. It's my favorite part about decorating the tree. Maybe you could add a wooden spoon with a red ribbon on it this year? lol!Love the cartoon!
Hi Blondie,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you started a blog. Good luck! I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Hugs,
Hermione
Elssia, that is a great idea for an ornament. Oh now I 'll have to go looking for one. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteHermione, Thanks for support. Love your blog and advice..
I also buy "momento" ornaments for my children each year! I love thinking back over their year and finding the perfect one to give.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Did you hang that wooden spoon? LOL.
Got to find one first. I did find a online store that had some ornaments that had DD on them but some of them were not appropriate for the family Christmas tree. Mike have to stick to the wooden spoon. Though he has never used the wooden spoon or any other kitchen utensil. lol.
ReplyDelete