I was in shock. Why hasn't my sister told me how bad things were getting? My Papa lived to be 98 and I always thought that my dad would live to be that old too. He was the healthy one, the one who would outlive all of the grandparents. This doesn't make sense.
I am a Daddy's girl. Even though I am adopted, we still had the closest bond. I was always following his around as he fixed things, cut wood, developed his film, and spent time in his garden. I would talk to him, probably non-stop, and he seemed to always be listening. He even built me a bike once.
I was attracted to Ty, because he had so many of the good qualities of my dad. Everyone, and I mean everyone who ever met him, loved my dad. He is easy going, funny, and accepting.
Now what the hell and I supposed to do. I need to go home. I need to cuddle with him and even just lie next to him in his bed and hold his hand. There were always reasons/excuses to not go home before. Being around my mother and my sisters is really bad. There is a lot of animosity and assumptions, and just them picking on me. So I don't really go home. And then there is the fact that my parents have never really been "grandparents" and they don't like Ty. My mom and sisters they make my children feel unwelcome. It really sucks. I will have to go home by myself and free a day, having friends help out with the kids. But I am going home to see my daddy.
![]() |
| click on picture to listen to song |

Thanks for letting me share my sadness and worry. My daddy is still here and I am going to spend as much time as possible with him. I don't care what my mother and sisters do to try to keep me away. He is my daddy and I am going home to be with him.
A follow up....................


I went home yesterday and spent the afternoon with my dad. We had a nice time. It is true that he is fragile. I sat next to him, his arm around me. I played with his hands and just soaked up the love. At times, when we were totally alone, I told him how much I loved him and he told me how much he loved me. We shared some funny stories. He told me how proud of me and proud of the woman I had become. Many times, during the visit, tears would slip down my cheeks. He can not breathe without his oxygen. My dad is not happy about having the oxygen with him for 24/7. I would rather have the oxygen then not have him. The doctors would like to put something in his throat area that will provide pure oxygen into his lungs without him having to carry around and be hooked up to the oxygen machines. Good idea! He was also unhappy that they took away his driver's license. Which should have been done awhile ago but he feels like he has now lost all of his independence. My mom would pop her head in once in awhile and join in the conversation. She really took a liking to my 14 year old son, ignored my 12 year old and badmouthed my daughter. Grrrrrr. And of course she took her pot shots towards my husband/their father. Such is life. My 14 year old told me, on the drive home, that I need to really just not listen and not try to correct or "argue" with my mom. He told me that he only listened to about 50% of what she said and that I should do the same thing. Out of the mouth of babes. I will seen him soon. 







Oh Blondie. I am so sorry. My Dad died this past Fall. It's been rough. But I will forever cherish, I mean hold the most dear in my heart, the week I spent caring for him, holding his hand, loving him, before he died, with both of his hands in mine.
ReplyDeleteI wish you peace and Grace during this emensly stressful time.
(((((Hugs)))))
Fiona
Thank you for your kind words. I will probably not be there when my dad passes (I am pretty sure I won't be told till after he passes) But until then I will spend as much time as possible with him. I am very sorry for your loss. I may need to turn to you for advice on how to get through day to day.
DeleteBlondie, I wish you strength in dealing with your mother and sisters at this stressful time and godspeed in getting to your dad quickly and safely. I lost my dad unexpectedly a very long time ago, but hearing your story and that wonderful song brought back a rush of emotion. I hope you have the best visit ever.
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Meg
Thank you so much Meg. Fortunately, my sister was at the City Council meeting (vice-mayor) and my mother (first female councilwoman and mayor or our city) was watching it. That left my to my dad without any her running interference. I will have to remember to go up to visit on the days they have city council meetings (LOL). Thanks again.
DeleteAs I read your post about your Dad, my heart broke. It aches for you, because I was there. When I was 19/20. I wish with all my heart I could find the right words to comfort you. For once I am at a loss for words. Know thousands of miles away you have a friend ( one of many) thinking of you and hoping for peace for your family.
ReplyDeleteYour mother did phone you to tell you to come home. Perhaps, just this once things will be different. Illness and death can bring out the best (or worst) in people. Hopefully this time it will be the former in your situation. But if it isn't, do what you must for you and your Father. This is a crucial time for no regrets for you. Be strong and follow your heart. It will guide you. Focus on you and you Dad and your time together.
Much, much love my friend
willie
Thanks Willie for all your kindness, love, and support.
DeleteI'm so glad you are going. And I know your dad will be happy that you're there too. I hope it will be different with your mother and sisters, but just in case, take us all with you - see your blogging friends as mental bodyguards, covering your ears and your mom's mouth. Let us absorb anything negative that's said and you concentrate on your dad. I miss my dad too, he's been gone for eight years. As you have the time and feel like it, I'd love to hear stories of your dad.
ReplyDeleteThank you for being my mental guardian, I needed all of the help I could get. I got to spend the afternoon wtth my dad and had a nice time. We said all of what is in our hearts, of course I cried. But he still is and always will be my daddy. The Superman to a little girl
Delete(((((hugs))))) & prayers
ReplyDeleteThanks Grace
DeleteI hit publish too soon. Grace thanks for your prayers and hugs. I really needed them and felt them
DeleteYes you need to go...for both you and your dad. I wish you strength and calmness in dealing with the rest of the family....and lots of quiet, peaceful times with your dad.
ReplyDeleteHugs and prayers....abby
Thanks Abby, I needed all of the prayers and support I could get.
DeleteI'm so sorry Blondie. I hope you can spend some quality time with your father with minimal drama. I'm sure your dad will be so happy to see you. I'll be thinking of you and sending healing thoughts to you and your dad.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Thanks Jennelle. I was very fortunate to have some quality time with my dad while my mom was doing other things. Thanks
DeleteI'm so sorry about your dad. Spend as much time as you can with him. Try to ignore your mother & sisters (sorry they are such drama). I'll be thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteThanks Maggie, I was fortunate to have a couple of hours with my dad, alone. The drama really sucks. The visit was nice
DeleteI am sorry. It is so hard when a parent is succumbing to illness and you feel like each time will be your last. I know I am lucky and see my parents often, however every time I hug my mom I wonder if she will remember me next time.
ReplyDeleteGo home and share all the cuddles you can, and keep them in your heart.
It's nice that you understand what I am going through. Unfortunately, we live a couple of hours away and with all my kids needing me, it's hard to make the trip. I will be going back soon because I need that time with him. His days are limited and I want to just be with him. Thanks Minelle
Delete((((((hugs)))))) Please go as quickly as you can. When my mom got to that point it was only a couple days till she died. Sending you love.
ReplyDeleteThanks Renne. I was able to go and see him yesterday for the afternoon and had some alone time to just share and remember. It's so hard to see him like this. And it is frustrating for him. I remember when your mom passed and I will probably need to turn to you when things go bad.
DeleteHey Blondie...I am so sorry your mother sprung that on you like she did. Make arrangements for your kiddos and go spend time with your daddy. Hopefully, your mom and sisters will behave themselves but if they don't, I agree with PK...take us with you in your heart and mind as your protectors. Imagine me putting an apple on each of their heads and making them hold still while I shoot the apple and they get apple juice all over their face! LOL In other words dear...imagine something silly and ignore them. Just spend whatever time you can with your daddy.
ReplyDeleteIf there is anything I can do, please let me know. Sending lots of prayers, healing energy and positive thoughts.
Hugs and Blessings...
Cat
Thanks Cat. I took my two younger boys up there with me. They are on spring break. They also got to visit with their grandparents. And they actually spent time with my mother and I got some alone time with my dad. It was such short notice that I went up there my sister didn't even know I was there till we were about a third of the way home. Thank you for protections, thoughts and prayers, and for offering you help.
DeleteBlondie, I am so very sorry. Go and spend as much time with your Daddy as you can. I hope things are different with your Mom and sister's this time snd agree with PK if not. Am thinking of you and sending love and prayers your way.
ReplyDelete(((Hugs)))
Roz
Thank you Roz. I so appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers and strength. I went home and spent time with my dad and now I can only pray that I will get to visit with him again..
DeleteI just saw your update Blondie, I am so glad you spent precious time with your Daddy. Your son sounds like an amazing, caring and smart boy :) I hope you get tp spend as much time with your Daddy as you can. Thinking of you and sending prayers your way.
DeleteMany Hugs
Roz
Blondie,
ReplyDeleteSo very sorry. Wishing you strength. You and your Daddy are in my thoughts.
Love and hugs,
Ronnie
xx
Thanks Ronnie. I need all the strength and good thoughts that I can get. I went up and luck was on my side and I got to a have really nice visit. I now need to do this again, real soon.
DeleteSo sorry Blondie :(
ReplyDeleteHugs & prayers
Thanks Elle. I needed and will need all of the hugs and prayers I can get. I appreciate you reaching out to me and letting me share.
DeleteOh Blondie, I am so sorry about your dad. I hope you have a good visit with him and you find the strength to cope with your mum and sister
ReplyDeletelove Jan,xx
Thank you so much Jan. I was able to have a nice visit and have a good time. Now I need to go back soon.
DeleteBlondie,
ReplyDeleteYou are doing what you need to do. You are doing what is right for your Dad. This visit won't be an easy one for you, but I hope you find enough peace with your Dad to be able to ignore the others.
XOXO Pearl
Pearl, Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. It was not easy to see my dad being so ill. Luckily I made it up on a good day with only mom knowing, and she was decent. We were able to talk and share.
DeleteDear Blondie,
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry to hear this sad news and I thank-you for sharing. I wish you love and light and warmth and hugs of friendship. Go home and spend time with your Daddy - no one can stand in your way - and treasure every moment you have together. Thinking of you...
Thanks Terps, Comments like yours make me feel better about sharing. Thank you all of your good thoughts and wishes. It must have worked because I did get to spend some time with him
DeleteThinking of you Blondie and sending you the biggest of hugs. Hope that you are with your Dad now, having that special time with him. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDelete<3 Katie
Katie, thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. And I appreciate the hugs more than you know. I was with my dad, so all the prayers must have worked
DeleteSorry to hear about your troubles. I'm a Daddy's girl too so I know how you feel. I'm lucky to still have my dad, but he's turning 87 this year so who knows how long we'll still have him. Spend time with him, be his little girl. We're all thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteHolla Dean, thanks for your kind words. My dad is only 82 but it is still old, I guess. He was always the healthiest one. Fiver years ago he took up kayaking. Seeing him so sick was one of the toughest things that I have experienced. I am so glad that I went and saw him and we could spend time together. Thanks again.
DeleteI am so glad that you mother called to let you know. She recognizes what you and your dad have! I was super close to my dad too and I lost him when I was 29. I think it hit me harder than did my mother's death over a decade before. I am glad you are going to be with your dad and indulge yourself on all that you and your dad have and share. The moments together will be very precious. I am sorry you are having to face this, but I know it will be all right and you will get through this with grace.
ReplyDeleteCygnet, you about made me cry again. Thank you for your confidence, telling me that I will get through with this. I hope on one hand that he lasts for a very long time. But on the other hand, it's all about quality of life for him. Thanks again
DeleteAwww Sweetie, I'm so sorry. It's wrong of your mother and sisters to keep the information from you, but maybe they did because they were trying to spare you the pain and the worry. I've recently learned that family members do things for good reasons, even if they appear to be the wrong thing to do. Take a day and as much time as you can in the future and go and be with your Daddy. Sit with him, talk to him, tell him everything you want to say... and just be with him. Sending you hugs and prayers!
ReplyDeleteC, I don't want you to worry about me. That's why I haven't mentioned anything to you. I wanted to be there for you as you mourn the loss of your mother. I hope that when my father does pass that I will have all of the strength, dignity, and grace that you do. I am here for you.
DeleteBlondie, I'm so glad you got to spend some time with your dad. I hope you get a lot more time with him (and away from anyone who brings negativity). Lots of love!
ReplyDeleteThanks Leah. It did work out to not have the negative around. And I plan on going back again next week.
DeleteBlondie, I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. You are right, they hold such a special place in our lives and our hearts that when we know our time is short we will face anything to spend that important time with them. I am glad you had some time to open your heart with your Dad and share your love and important memories. No matter how much you think you prepare your heart getting the phone call to tell you they have passed will be a tremendous shock. It is never far enough away, always too soon. Please know that you are in my prayers and my heart. God bless you as you cherish the many moments you can spend with your Dad in the future. They will be more precious than gold. Ladybrittany
ReplyDeleteWow! Thank you for all that you said. You are right on and I appreciate your support. I cannot believe that my dad is even this sick. It breaks my heart. But he is still here and I will be there, no matter what. Thanks for all of your prayers.
DeleteOh my sweet sweet friend. My heart goes out to you. I can't imagine what you are going through. Daddies always hold a special place in our hearts. I'm glad you decided to go to him in spite of everything else that you faced going "home." Listen to your children, draw support from them and Ty. Know that we are here for you anytime you need us. You know that I am only a phone call away. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteLove,
TL
All I can say is 'Treasure every moment'. You dad sounds a lovely man. I am sorry you don't get on too well with your mother or your sisters, but Christina's thoughts on that make good sense. I know that when I married Dan my folks weren't that keen initially, but they never lived to see what a success he made of himself and our marriage. Sometimes things that happen in life are so hard to understand, yet they come to have a purpose. I am sending you my prayers and positive thoughts.
ReplyDeleteMany hugs
Ami
Hugs, Blondie. It's wonderful you were able to go visit your dad, and that the kids were able to go with you. I'm glad you're planning a return visit soon.
ReplyDeleteI think you already know it isn't just your dad you may lose in the near future. If your mom and sister continue to be rude and critical of you and your family, those ties probably will be severed after your dad is gone. He seems to be the glue, the sole reason you also see your mom and sister. This is merely a suggestion, but you might want to let them know what is going to happen if they don't change how they treat all of you. They, too, will be losing more than your dad.
I'll be praying for your dad, that he continues to feel as good as possible for as much time as he has left. You are so right in what you said in comments, that it is about quality of life. I'll also be praying for you to find extra hours in your days, help with the kids, and whatever other assistance you need so you can spend more time with him.
You truly have been blessed to have a father such as you describe. My father is not easy going nor accepting (but he can be really funny). Living with him usually was very difficult, uncertain and unhappy. He was raised hard and became a hard man with little patience. Visits tend to disintegrate still today.
Yet he has other qualities such as honesty, strong work ethic, responsibility, generosity, willingness to help others (lots of others), sticks with something until he figures it out, strength, character, and of course his wicked humor. Basically, he is a good kind of rotten, or a rotten kind of good. ;-)
When I really need him, he always has been there for me and my kids, and we just know we have to listen to him grumble or yell, tell stories, and figure out whether he is sensationalizing his wild past or trying to teach a lesson to be more cautious... do what he says and not what he did. He's a pain in the *ss when he gets on a roll or in one of his moods, but he's my dad and he always helped me and protected me from everyone else, made sure I was safe and fed, had everything I needed and some of what I wanted, and does the same with my kids.
It scares me silly and makes me terribly sad to imagine our lives without him in it, so I try not to let myself think about it. I think there is a huge place in my heart that will break when he is gone, the kind of place that cannot be fixed or filled with anyone or anything else. That scares me, so I have a good idea how you are feeling. My dad is not doing well, either, and I am 500 miles from home. My heart goes out to you. :'(
Tomorrow after the kids get out of school, I'm making a quick trip back home for Easter weekend. I'll be driving back on Sunday. I'll be thinking of you and hoping you can go see your dad this weekend, too.
More hugs, as always. :-)