Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Attitude Change - No Spanking


Life is busy. Teenagers are selfish. And I am still trying to get over a cold. Can you guess the rest of the story. Okay, give the husband some sympathy, it's well deserved. Nobody should be the subject of my wrath.

Long story short, I have four teenagers plus a ten year old and they keep my on my toes. There is never a dull moment around here. Usually I can pull off the strong parent thing and keep my kids in line. But yesterday, after a very busy day, I began to prepare dinner. The sink was full of dirty dishes, the counters were a mess and everywhere I looked, there was a lazy teenager doing nothing productive. As I began dinner, I started barking at the kids: you pick up your shoes and put them away, you empty the dishwasher, you finish your homework and on and on. There response time was pretty pathetic and they were not jumping like I wanted them to do. Grrrrrrrr, I have no time or patience for all of this.

Then I start fixing this delicious yummy dinner (that I found on Pinterest). Next thing I know, my oldest is peeling a potato. Notice, I said a potato.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"Making something to eat." Dumbfounded, I look at him.

"Um, do you happen to notice that I am fixing dinner?" I say as nicely as I can.

"I am hungry now, and this is actually lunch. I'll eat dinner later" he says.

As I am sputtering, my second oldest, pulls a bowl of hot oatmeal out of the microwave. Apparently, he too plans on eating later.

And, because my 13 year old has just gotten home from Rugby and is trying to get his homework done as fast as possible so he can get to Youth Group, he will not be home from dinner. This, I was at least aware of ahead of time.

Now remember, I am tired and still getting over this cold. So I stomp off to my bedroom, where my husband is.
(I always refer to him as my husband because I can't figure out a name for him to use on my blog.)

He listens to me whine about the boys  Then he tells me that he doesn't want to eat what I am cooking. He doesn't want to eat red meat, he wants chicken. Red meat can mess up his stomach and he has an important meeting in the morning.

Well, if you know me much, you can guess that I calmly took this all in and offered to make him a dinner of his own liking.  Well that is only the impression I give out, I am really not that nice.

I believe that I said something to the effect that he and the boys can all make their own dinner and I will not be cooking tonight. And there were probably some other choice words and comments made too. But there is more to the story that I forgot to mention.


Earlier in the day, I took my daughter in to see her psychiatrist that we have been seeing for almost five years. He knows my daughter and our family pretty well by now. Unfortunately, this appointment did not go so well for my little girl. He kind of gave her a wake up call and refused to change some other things until she had improved in other areas. She needs to get motivated and onto a schedule before we worry that her ADD medicine is working correctly. My daughter left pretty mad at him because she didn't agree . (I agreed with the doctor).

While I was picking up my son from rugby practice, my daughter had the opportunity to explain things to my husband. She, being the only girl, has my husband wrapped around her little finger. And she told her daddy how mean the doctor was and how I never listen to her and all that stuff. So as soon as I walk in the door, I am greeted by this situation. My husband did not handle this whole thing really well. He repeatedly questioned me and the doctor and defended his little girl. My feelings were really hurt. Being a team and not questioning the other parent in front of the kids has been one of the benefits we have found using TTWD.

Everybody caught up with my rambling? Do you want to know what happened next?

First he let me whine, pout and say all the stuff that I did. There was no emotion on that face, he looked like he was listening.

Now this is where things turned interesting.

He pulled out a chair, called me over, had me pull down my pants and hold onto the chair. I was rather surprised by his request and moved a little slowly but I did as he asked. And I just stood there like that for a couple of minutes. Then he had me sit down on the dreaded mat and put my hand on my head and close my eyes.

He spoke quietly and had me breathe out the bad and breathe in the love.

He apologized for his role in making me upset. Then reminded me that we can't let things like this happen because it hurts our marriage. He reinforced the fact that we are a team.

He spoke about respect and submission. And he just spoke quietly and kindly to me. I felt the love. Yes, I also felt the matt on my bottom, that really hurts. But he got my attention and he was able to stop the negative behavior and turn the situation around. Never before have we handled a situation like this. It was at first very awkward. I didn't like the bare bottom and the hands on my head. But it worked. I stopped and listened. I didn't try to argue with him or make comments under my breath.

There was just a lot of hugging and kissing afterwards. Then I went and cooked chicken for the four of us. Put the steak away for another night. I told the older boys that they could fend for themselves. And just let it all go.

My partner was right there beside me. Backing me up and helping get the rest of the house picked up.

Wow, this really worked.

Steak for dinner tonight...






41 comments:

  1. Good for husband. What a clever idea. Glad you are better and I hope the cold gets gone soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sunnygirl, I hope this cold gets better soon too. I think that he did a good job too.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a pretty intense day you had, huh. I would have been frustrated with the dinner situation as well as the rest building. I've never felt a mat but it kind of makes me tingle thinking about it, ouch! But it's so sweet he took care of you. I hope your cold improves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Riley. The mat is uncomfortable, very. I hope that the cold is what is making me deal poorly with things that happen. It just felt good to really stop and listen to him and hear him out, sometimes I hear what I think he is saying. Me, can you believe that? Lol

      Delete
  3. It sounds like an interesting way to handle the situation and I like it. I also like the way you let the older kids fend for themselves. It sounds like your husband is right on top of things.

    How about a contest to name your husband for the blog - how about Blondie and Brent? It really is easier to have a fake name for everyone and help us relate to him as well as you.

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were almost fending for themselves last night too. But they stopped and hopefully remembered that there is only one dinner time and one dinner that is served by mom. I am sure that we will deal with this situation again but at least we are a team.

      I like the contest idea a lot. I suggested it to him. He wanted to know why he needed a name. He asked if I ever talked about him in my blog. I pretty much laughed myself off the bed. Maybe he should read what I write every once in awhile. Lol.

      Delete
  4. Lovely how he got you back where you wanted to be and helped you let go. Daddy is very much like that too, this is not a diner, eat what your mother makes for you or you can go hungry. I have always felt guilty before we had Ward, and I could end up making 3 dinners - just crazy - in the face of everything else going on. Good on you for going to him for help :) And very glad it turned out to be a better night.

    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June. This team work is still pretty new. And sometimes we slip back into old ways and "pick" sides against each other. But he didn't let things spiral out of control. I am really in love with that man. I have learned that there is no one meal that my entire family will like. Even pizza, everyone has different preferences. Taco night is good, except I have to serve taco shells and tortillas. But that all eat that night. Lol. I grew up with very strict parents and knew to eat what was for dinner without complaining. And we ate a large variety of meals. My husband was raised quite differently and I still have to remind him that the kids are watching him so he has to at least pretend to eat his vegies.
      Thank you for kind words

      Delete
  5. Hi Blondie! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I'm a reader of your blog and love your witty and insightful posts.

    PS - How about Dagwood for your husband's name? :)

    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisa, I think we are going to be friends. I love your posts and we seem to share the same blog friends. I am glad to be back into blogging again.
      I think that we need to have a contest and let him pick out his name. I like Dagwood but I will let him decide. Maybe we will have to offer a prize. A paddle from my Etsy store. Except that might keep some people from voting, the thought of winning a paddle. Lol

      Delete
    2. Blondie,
      I would be honored to have you as a friend. :) We do share many wonderful friends here! I love that about this community - everyone I am friends with is so sincerely nice and caring.

      A paddle as a prize...hmmm...I'm all about it! ;)

      Delete
  6. Oops also meant to say - what the heck with lazy, messy teenagers? We have some of our own, with the same tendencies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lazy, messy teenagers - ugh! I look at my teens, some days, and wonder who their parents are..... These are not the same children who loved to help mommy with the cleaning up and were so excited to be a big kid who got to help with the dishes. They have no pride in their work and no motivation. Well my college student has a little since we keep showing him the front door if he doesn't help out. Lol
      Thanks for letting me vent about teens. Mine are 19, 17, 15 and 13. My ten year old is still a good helper, so that one gets to eat dinner.

      Delete
  7. I feel your pain, Blondie! Nothing like lazy, messy, teenagers to make mom happy happy!

    I'm glad to hear that your night worked out and ended well.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. I am glad (selfishly) that I am not the only parent with teenagers who aren't perfect. Some days I literally pull out their baby books so I don't kill them. Those cute little smiles save them every time.

      Delete
  8. Well girl I have a lot in common with you....Those teens and young adults can try the patience of a saint.LOL
    I am happy you guys came together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Minelle. Glad that I am not the only parent of a teen who has their sainthood tried. I can usually be such a happy easy going person but those kids can make me look like an evil witch at times.
      My husband really took control of the situation and I am very proud of him and happy that it all worked out. He use to say that he was afraid to talk to me or try to spank me when I freaked out like that. He didn't want the police called. Lol He took a chance and I listened and he made it work. What a guy

      Delete
  9. Hi Blondie, wow, what a day you had! Teenagers and pre teens sure are a lot of work. I can totally understand your frustration and need to vent.

    Good on you for going to your husband. Glad he took care of you and the night ended well. A very interesting solution, clever on his part. I hope the cold disappears soon.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz for all of your encouraging words. It was a very different solution. I told him that I would try and listen to him even if I am flipping out and he took the chance and really stepped up. I am very fortunate that he is as intent as I am on making this marriage work and being a team in the parenting area.
      I hope this cold leaves soon. I am tired or coughing.

      Delete
  10. What a day. The good thing is, you're not alone in having days like this. The even better thing about it, is how your hubby handled it without needing (or being able to perhaps?) to spank. Uncomfortable I can relate to but effective in kicking in the calming, listening skills because there's nothing to hide behind I think.
    Now, about this mat? I'm intrigued lol

    Dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mat I read about on PK's blog. So blame it on her. But for some reason, my bottom doesn't remain sore much longer after the spanking. Which is good for me but not too effective. So sitting on the mat between spankings or after a spanking, kind of makes the bottom a little more sensitive to the spanking. It is really prickly and not fun to sit on. But it works and it isn't dangerous and it doesn't cause any damage or anything. Plus, it is a welcome mat that you can purchase anywhere. We keep ours by our sliding glass door in our bedroom. It is really cute, kind of like the one in the picture with the flip flops. It is effective and it works. I am not much one for standing in a corner or writing lines or anything like that. And if her sent me to my room, I would take a nap. I could probably take a nap standing some days. It is different than a spanking but a spanking is always the answer. We are spankos, so spankings are usually the only thing we do. But this worked. I am really happy.

      Delete
  11. Teenagers...Grrrrrrrrrrrr! I so understand your frustration there. It is like they have forgotten the kitchen existed ( for 5 minutes ) and when you start moving around in there they remember they haven't eaten for a whole 3 minutes!

    BTW. I happened to be in the same room as my youngest was watching TV the other day. Bugs Bunny was on, it must be the new version, anyway there was Blondie scarfing down cupcakes - no doubt the recipe was found on Pinterest. I thought of you right away! Not that your husband is going to want to be forever referred to as Bugs....ask Barney about the pressure of being a cartoon icon that he faces each day....lol

    It would be nice to have a name for him. I like Pk's suggestion, but I am a sucker for alliteration .

    Love
    Willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Bugs too. It goes with the whole Lola bunny theme. And he was the one who picked out the picture of Bugs spanking Lola to use for my blog. He wanted me to get that picture as a tattoo. Lol
      I am sure that cupcake recipe came from Pinterest. My cookbooks are beginning to collect dust since I am a pinning addict.
      Barney and Bugs could be friends......... We need to have a contest!

      Delete
    2. Okay, now my cheeks( facial) are as pink as your blog. I seriously have ALWAYS thought that Bugs' Girlfriend's name was Blondie. Like before Blog land...man you must have been wondering what I was smoking when I wrote my comment !

      Delete
    3. I probably should have chosen the name Lola since I use her as my icon. But I chose the icon b/c of my husband and I chose the name because that is the color of my hair. Lol I didn't even know the bunny had a name, I always called her Bug's girlfriend.

      Delete
  12. A completely normal day I'd say. Teenagers doing something in the house have not yet been invented.
    Interesting to note that it was not really important who was right and who was wrong, or who said what to whom.
    Just togetherness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bas, you are so right. I didn't even think about that. Nobody right or wrong, just together. Thanks for pointing that out. Makes my heart warmer just thinking about it. And I am always close to happy tears when my heart is warmed. Dang it, I am getting teary. Are you going to participate in the naming of my husband contest?

      Delete
  13. I got distracted trying to figure out why a mat was ouchy...but it must be one of those prickly ones right? I'd never thought of that...well...ouch! :(

    I think it's pretty amazing how men who embrace this way of life can creatively come up with ways to help us calm down, regroup and move forward. You sounded so different by the end of the post.

    Now about those teenagers...lol Blondie, I have nothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mat is prickly. Mine happens to be really cute with flip flops and a big welcome on it. But prickly and it surely works well.
      This is one of those times that I have been super impressed with my husband for using all of what we learned in making a situation turn out right. He is a good man. My rock.
      Okay, what's your address? I will send you a couple of teenagers for a little (or until you send them back). Except I hear that they are really helpful at other people's houses. I even had a mom call me and tell me about my thirteen year old and how helpful he was. So you may not send them back. But they do eat a lot. And you can have my daughter. Only the boys. My husband will never let his princess go. I hope that her future husband realizes that he will be living next door to us.

      Delete
  14. Well, that sounds like a pretty effective solution to the 'how to do this with kids around' question! I can understand why it felt a bit strange for you at first, but he got through to you and the night was saved. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tess. It is kind of hard to even admit that I did do as he asked (or told) me to do. I never thought that I could do it. Me, stand in a corner? Yeah right..... And then not only did I do as he directed, it worked. Yay! I figured you would understand exactly how I felt.

      Delete
  15. Hugs blondie. I can only imagine I would not have handled that very well either.
    Elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle. I can use the hugs and the support. At least right now, they are all asleep and it is so peaceful. I love my early mornings.

      Delete
  16. Wow, good job to both of you on the outcome. Sounds like it was a great solution. I can understand everything building up and up since it seems like the day wasn't the smoothest, so i'm glad it worked out the way it did. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PLB - ;-)
      Thank you for your support. I try to deal with things as they pop up but it was too much for me that day. Especially when it came to my daughter and his words at the time. He really wanted me to hear him and bring us back together as a team and it worked. Yay

      Delete
  17. fill me in,,, She may be the princess but you're the queen. Auntie Laurie's sleepy camp anyone ;-).

    Keep plugging , you're doing great
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Aunt Laurie, I'll let you know the name of the airline and their arrival times in a little bit. The boys need to be with their Aunt. My daughter, the princess, does know that I am the Queen but sometimes those big brown eyes of hers turn her daddy's resolve to mush.
      Thanks for your support. Been missing you, we need to catch up with each other.

      Delete
  18. I am late getting over here to read this! Glad this worked out in the end. Hope you guys can have some alone time and enjoy your upcoming weekend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SNP, your kind thoughts are appreciated. I hope we can have some alone time too but I am not holding my breath. He really did do good. I hope you have a great weekend.

      Delete
  19. Hi Blondie. I am sorry I am so late commenting. Having my oldest home is seriously cutting down on my blog time. Sound familiar?
    I so get the teenagers driving you crazy part and the cold and the dinner.... Oh I think I could pretty much write it all. I read it to my Alex because I knew he would appreciate the very creative solution he had for calming you down. Great way to do it silently.

    So happy that it all worked out well for you and that in the end you got two yummy meals. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Zoe for understanding and for the encouraging words. We had a family meeting today and hopefully.... they all understand the new (old) rules.

    ReplyDelete