Friday, August 24, 2012

BDSM Symbol


I guess I should do a follow up from my last post. And with that, maybe a little history or background information I could share.

We have been married for over 22 years. We had been living together for a couple of years before that. I can easily state that I have not been with another man for way over twenty-five years. Wasn't a virgin when we met but not experienced in any way either.  Having sex with the same person for that long has given us time to expand our interests. While I was pregnant, we found that a little smack or two or three...., really felt good and was exciting. And things have progressed since then. Sex is never boring or redundant at our house. And somewhere along the line I found out about a culture or lifestyle called BDSM. This absolutely fascinated me. And my husband was always interested in anything new or different. Giving up control to my husband and trusting him to push my limits has given me the "permission" to experience the most incredible sex I could possibly imagine.




These Are BDSM Emblems All three of these graphics are the Real Thing. Their details meet all the critical criteria of the BDSM Emblem design: 
1) The rims and spokes are of a color indicating metal, in this case gold, iron and silver. 
2) The rims and spokes are of uniform width with the arms rotating clockwise.
3) The inner fields are black.
4) The holes in the fields are truly holes and not dots. 

http://emblemproject.sagcs.net/is.htm


I am posting from another websight that describes the symbol because it does it so much better than I could do. Copyright is at the bottom.         

The BDSM emblem has no "obvious" symbolism because it was created to be enigmatic. To the vanilla observer who would be put off by BDSM, it is merely an attractive piece of jewelry. Thus, we can wear it freely as a friendly salute, nod, and wink to other BDSMers we should happen to pass on the sidewalks and in the hallways of our daily lives.
To the insider, however, the Emblem is full of meaning.
The three divisions represent the various threesomes of BDSM. First of all, the three divisions of BDSM itself: B&D, D&S, and S&M. Secondly, the three-way creed of BDSM behavior: Safe, Sane, and Consensual. Thirdly, the three divisions of our community: Tops, Bottoms, and Switches.
It is this third symbolism that gives meaning to the holes in each unit. Since BDSM is at the very least a play style and at its greatest a love style, the holes represent the incompleteness of any individual within the BDSM context. However "together" and "whole" individuals may be, there remains a void within them that can only be filled by a complimentary other. BDSM cannot be done alone.
The resemblance to a three-way variation on the Yin-Yang symbol is not accidental. As the curved outline of Yin and Yang represent the hazy border between where one ends and the other begins, so do the curved borders here represent the indistinct divisions between B&D, D&S, and S&M.
The metal and metallic color of the medallion represents the chains or irons of BDSM servitude/ownership. The three inner fields are black, representing a celebration of the controlled dark side of  BDSM sexuality.
The curved lines themselves can be seen as a stylized depiction of a lash as it swings, or even an arm in motion to deliver an erotic spanking. The all-embracing circle, of course, represents the overlying unity of it all and the oneness of a community that protects its own.
copyright 1995, 1997, Quagmyr@aol.com



Confession part, I guess. We have only explored B&D and D&S. Not really intense S&M. Being spanked can be a real turn on and once in awhile, more than I care to admit, I need a good spanking.

So as I was exploring and learning about all of this when I stumbled across some Domestic Discipline sites. Since we were really struggling in our marriage and had already experimented with rules and spankings, we decided to try it. Let me tell you, DD is one of the most difficult things we have ever attempted. It is one thing to trust and submit in the bedroom but totally different when it involves life all the time. We found that our lifestyle isn't clearly one idea or another and we ended upblending it all. This has not always been easy either. Right now, things are good and we enjoy this thing we do.

Now you all know a small part of BDSM, a symbol.

21 comments:

  1. I've been educated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learn new things every day. Seriously! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit the nail on the head. We've played with BDSM in the past. I don't have a problem submitting in the bedroom. I even find it a turn-on when he takes charge there. But when we brought DD into our relationship, I really struggled with submitting completely, not just in the bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. Thanks Blondie.

    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since Dana already said basically what I was going to say, I'll just say ditto! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Thanks! Interesting read.I'm going to link from my blog if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting, thanks for sharing Blondie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting! It makes me wonder if I have ever seen the symbol before and just didn't know what I was looking at.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Blondie. That is fascinating. I totally agree about dd being a whole different ball game. You can't compare fun in the bedroom to a full-time lifestyle. It's like comparing taking guitar lessons to getting a music degree from a university.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you know we came to Dd in a very similar way as you two did. I was just thinking b4 coming on the internet just now, that labels are sometimes too defining and confining, and we really don't want to be put into just one category. We are exploring as much as you are, but I don't post about our bedroom escapades. And my blog focuses on Dd b/c that is where we struggle. It *is* hard, but it's amazing how the D/s or Dd dynamic outside of the bedroom helps us reach even higher heights within our private-sanctuary walls.
    Interesting about the symbols for BDSM. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I had no idea there was a symbol. And I really enjoyed hearing your background. Great post- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know almost all of that...thanks Blondie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also did not know even half of what you shared here. Very interesting.
    And, your background information and personal story was icing on the cake. Glad you guys are in such a good place. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing, Blondie! Quite an educational, but personal post:).

    Love,
    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Blondie, I've wondered about it's symbolism. Ward and I are very much like you, we are a blend of what works for us, DD, D/s, D/lg. That's the awesome thing about this lifestyle, everyone is unique and we're all a pretty open-minded and accepting group of people :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think we all end up making our own blend Blondie, which is how it should be, IMO. How wonderful that you've been brave enough to explore and make your way to a good place for your relationship!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the explanation, Blondie. I'm for sure going to be on the lookout for this symbol. I've always thought of Cael and I as a mix of DD and D/s, so that sort of falls into BDSM territory. However, what you posted above was news to me, so it was interesting to read! I also enjoyed reading about your history and how you got into DD.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's interesting how differently our dynamics play out, in the bedroom only, and in all other aspects of life. You would think the one would spill over automatically to the other, and vice versa. Some things do, if we allow that, but other things have to be invited to certain parts of our interactions - they don't just naturally occur.

    Thanks for posting this, Blondie. I've been thinking a lot about labels and definitions, too. The things I thought I had learned as I became an adult turned out to be merely clinical definitions, fictional descriptions, and my own experiences. I thought I had my definitions down pat, until I started reading about real life accounts and interpretations. I've continued to learn from the ttwd/dd blogs. What I've found is there is no universally accepted definition for many things. I can't even establish a consensus on the definition of submission/submissive or domination/dominant because everyone has their own ideas about which acts and attitudes define these concepts for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess you can tell from the wordiness above that your anonymous poster is me, Irishey! ;-)

      Delete
  19. We were actually looking at jewelry with this symbol last week. It almost looks like a yin/yang sign when you don't know the difference. I found the meanings to be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete