First a little background information:
My husband was born and raised in the country. He grew up hunting, fishing, four-wheeling and water skiing in the river.
I grew up in the mountains by one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. We went back packing, hiking, snow skiing andd enjoyed all kinds of outdoor living.
Now we live in the city. Two hours from either hometown. Our kids have grown up in a different enviorment. But we still try to give them some of the joys of the great outdoors. Which includes taking them camping whenever we can.
We have been camping with the kids all of their lives. Last weekend, my husband and I got to go camping together (without children) up by the coast. It was wonderful. And in a couple of weeks, we are taking them all down to the Redwoods to camp.
There is a campground that my husband likes taking the kids to because it is only about 45 minutes away. I have gone there once and, pretty much, I don't plan on ever going again. Why? The lake is man-made created by a damn and not like my lake. It doesn't have sand, it has dirt. It just doesn't seem to be very clean.
Enough background.
My husband and my three younger children have gone camping to that campground. And I am home with my two older boys. Which is almost like being home alone since they are usually doing their own thing. Yesterday, I spent a great deal of time getting the campers all packed up to go while my husband took the younger ones to the fair. He came home, they switched vehicles and were gone. I right away starting working.
I began in my daughter's room. I think she needs to watch the show Hoarders. I am bagging up clothes that are too small, getting rid of trash, washing and putting away clothes. And de-cluttering. I also started going through my youngest son's clothes, bagging up his old, grown out of clothes.
I am loving this alone time. Life is good.
Well my husband calls later on that night, after they had set up camp and eaten dinner. He says to me "You should really come out and here and join us"
And I reply
Now I am sure that some of you have gasped and figure that I am now in trouble.
But my husband laughed with me. And he continued on with the conversation, telling me about the camp site and how the kids were really helpful, etc.
I finally said to him
"Why aren't you mad at me?"
And he told me that he knows that I have no interest in coming out there and he was only joking when he asked.
I said "No, not about that. But because I said oh hell no. Don't you think that was disrespectul?"
And he told me that he didn't care that I said that. We were just laughing and joking around. In no way did he feel that I was disobeying or being disrespectful. He says that I am who I am and he is not going to be bothered by that kind of talk. Plus this was a conversation between just the two of us, not like I was cussing in front of the kids.
Now, truth be told, if in a middle of an "discussion" I said "oh hell no" or "f--k you" I would be in trouble
Why am I telling you this? I just want to give some credit to my husband. He can laugh and kid around with me. He isn't uptight about little things. He still sees me as his partner. He loves that I am feisty and sassy. I really love my playful man. And I am so glad that ttwd hasn't changed him into being someone else.
I LOVE YOU HONEY. ALWAYS AND FOREVER, NO MATTER WHAT.
And Honey, thanks for accepting me as a lake snob.







you know, I like that they can tell when we're being sassy on purpose and when we're just reacting in our natural manners with no ill-intent.
ReplyDeleteBIKSS can tell when I'm being a pain for pain's sake, or when i'm just instinctively saying something, not meaning anything disrespectful by it.
and i'm happy for you that you got to spend some alone time cleaning house. I LOVE CLEANING up stuff and throwing out clutter. sigh. organising is Da Bomb!
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteOkay, have to admit, I am not big on cleaning or organizing. I only do what I have to do. But her room is becoming a fire hazard. And the clothes situation is so bad. If the old clothes don't get taken out, then I end up washing clean clothes b/c they didn't get put away in the overfilled drawers. And I hate doing launry. Every day at least two loads just to keep up. Grrrrrr
DeleteI think that most men love to laugh and play around. I have just noticed that some seem to be a little extreme in what they expect and demand as respect, even in fun. And I am so glad that my husband can just be himself and has nothing to prove. DD hasn't changed us, only added to us.
FA, can you come to my house, I have a lot of work for you. I have even begun on the boys' rooms........
LOL, trust me, I get invites to ALL My friends' houses. And I've been to at least 3 so that I could help sort out their wardrobes.
DeleteLove organising. Must be some magic potion mama had me drink when I was a wee lass. HAhahah.
Still, yes, I GET what you mean by the extreme Dom thing. The best thing about ttwd is when there's a seamless balance between whats natural and what's naturally expected. :)
Awe that's so sweet. He sounds very fair. John doesn't want to change me either.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your alone time!
Suzie, Thanks! I knew you would understand cause your husband seems to be like mine. My husband will be home tonight and even though I have loved having the bed to myself, I only slept on my half and I can't wait till he gets home. And of course, I miss my kids a little too. Lol
DeleteYour background made me jealous.
ReplyDeleteI loved the great outdoors during the day, but I liked to dine and sleep in a 5 star hotel.
Slept in a tent exactly one time in my life (somewhere in Denmark), and off course in rained.
Now where did you get that strange notion that a HoH might turn into a Punishment robot?
It’s the intent going with the words. He saw without any problem that you weren’t disrespectful.
Just a funny answer to a funny question.
I know a few ladies in Blogland who could use a little help with cleaning. May I mention you and Fondlers to them?
It is funny how as a child I didn't appreciate where I lived. As teens, we hated the tourists. It was quicker to get around town on our bikes then drive because them. And skiing at the resorts, we thought that we belonged there and they didn't. Now I pray the tourists come to help the economy, even though my parents are retired now. And if you go to my hometown, there are plenty of five star hotels (plus a casino or two too). All too rich for me.
DeleteA Punishment Robot, I love that term. Hmmmmm. I know a few men like that.
Me disrespectful, me, never, (well rarely)... Now me being silly, always. I love to laugh.
Do not mention me to anyone who needs help cleaning. I am only doing my daughters room b/c I have to. My house is all I can handle. I am always up for a fun time, just NO LAUNDRY
I thought this was really sweet, Blondie, and I can see this sort of thing going exactly the same way at our house. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff! Happy sorting:)
ReplyDeleteThanks Tess! Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. And if you can't have fun with your honey, then you aren't living with the right person. I think we can call off the Hoarder's television people, we may have things under control in her room. At least I am beginning to see a bedroom floor. I am also beginning to see all the spills from her artwork.... we may need to buy some rugs till we can get a carpet cleaning machine into her room. Dad will not be happy
DeleteI was going to say that my version of roughing is at a four star hotel, but the truth is, I'd just rather stay home. Can you say..."curmudgeon?"
ReplyDeleteBTW, were you thinking of one of my recent entries about showing respect?
Sometimes it's easy to understand you meant no disrespect. I've known people who used completely proper language but could still show disrespect.
Enjoy your time alone. Everyone needs. Perhaps especially mothers
Mick, I think it might nave been a little more funny if I had actually said "oh hell no sir".
DeleteBut I always learn a little something from all your posts....
Time alsone was really nice but I look forward to having my husbandd home again.
Just a nice slice of your life that you shared with us. Nice of you to send the message out to your husband, too. Enjoy your time. Fun post. I like the partnership aspect so much.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I really appreciate your comment. I have the greatest husband in the world but I enjoy a little alone time too once in awhile. This lake snob is looking forward to camping in the Redwoods and visiting the coast with my family. Hope you have a great weekend.
DeleteI love this post. I know that some among us would have been in trouble for what you said, instead of what you great husband was thinking - that I'm talking to my best friend and my wife and enjoying the conversation. Sure it would have been different if you were in front of the kids or in the middle of a serious discussion. Sounds like you all are in a great place.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
PK
Thanks PK. We are in a great place. I am glad that your kitchen is done and your daughter is coming to visit. I hope you have a great weekend. My husband will be home soon and I am looking forward to having him around.
DeleteThat's totally sweet. I'm glad he can be easy going when it's appropriate.
ReplyDeleteThanks Renee Rose! I am so glad that he is mine. Thanks for commenting
DeleteLake snob. Hahaha. Love it. As for what you said. Given the situation etc, of course it wasn't disrespectful. It was a funny answer in a funny moment. I think if that was taken any other way then there would be something wrong somewhere.
ReplyDeleteDee x
Yes, a lake snob. I love to have fun and to laugh. He is a little more serious but we have a great time teasing, loving and playing/
DeleteI like it when your are sassy because I like the view of your red bottom. It excites me. I love you and I know the difference between you needing some of my attention (spanking)and you being playful. You would not have enjoyed the camping trip nearly as much as I did and I am glad that you got some time alone. You are a great wife and you do so much for me, you make all of my dreams and fantasies come true.
ReplyDeleteLove, B
Babe, you read my blog :) And you commented. There is hope for you yet in blogland. Lol Thanks for your sweet words, maybe I will have to get a little sassy for you. Love you <3
DeleteAw! That is a sweet comment from B.
ReplyDeleteI think laughing at you being a bit sassy/playful just shows that you are secure with each other. D laughs outright when I call her a nasty old lady, and in fact (unless, like you describe, if it were in the middle of a "situation") almost seems to enjoy it. It is nice to have fun.
And by the way, I completely agree with you about fake lakes. And was that an intentional typo for "dam"? :P Thought it showed your true feelings, maybe...
Ana, I think that you are the only one to catch that little "typo". You must know me better than we thought. Lol. I am just wanting to have fun with him. We have been through so much in the last years we have been married. Life has calmed down (yes even with 5 kids) and we seem to be enjoying life more. Love it
DeleteI think being able to tease and laugh is SO important. It's all about context, as you mentioned. I can easily mouth off to Cael if we're both fooling around and there's a smile on my face when I say it. But the second it gets real...no, that's not okay.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're enjoying your alone time :)
Riley, life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Anytime we can laugh and tease and just have fun, we try to take advantage of it. Did you see that he actually read my blog and commented! I told him that I wrote about him and he wanted to see what I said. What a guy!
DeleteIt's nice that your husband has a great sense of humor!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Kitty
It is nice. DD has been good that it has made me take a step back and see that he not only deserves the respect that I give him but he also gives it back. There is too much in life to do to not laugh. He is a great guy. Hope your homecoming tonight goes great.
DeleteIt's ok to be a "lake snob". I know exactly what the difference between being in the water with sand between your toes or mud between your toes. I will not go in the water where I feel that slimey feeling of mud. I waterskied when I was young, but then I married a fisherman. Now that I have seen the different creatures pulled out of the lake waters, I want no part of skiing again. I'm with Mick about the motel thing. I like clean showers, Nice bed, cool airconditioning, etc. I'm glad your guy knows when to be serious and when to be silly. It's more fun that way. God Bless You and Yours, Belle L.
ReplyDeleteAnother lake snob - yay! Well I sure like the hotel thing. But with five kids, camping is the way to go. Someday, we will enjoy all the luxury and look back on these days and smile. Thank you for your kind words. God Bless you too. :)
DeleteI loved this post!
ReplyDeleteMy husband is strict in some ways, but he really allows me my fun playful side, and I can see us having the same conversation :) If I am obviously teasing him, showing no disrespect, there are some things I can get away with. On the other hand, I might say something that sounds totally innocent, but he will spank me if he senses any attitude. Guess its good they know us so well?? Or sometimes..not! ;)
Love that you are a "lake snob"...I'm a camping snob to a huge degree :)
Stormy
Stormy, your husband has to have a good sense of humor to put up with you. I laugh at your writing all the time. I wish I had the come-backs you have. Gotta love our men. I miss seeing you around. I hope all is well. :)
DeleteLOVED this post! I am fiesty too lol and it is nice to know there is room to be yourself while remaining respectful. Thanks for sharing hun :)
ReplyDeleteAsh, I haven't see you around. Hopefully soon we will both be on. I am telling you, with dd you are still the same person, only better and your marriage is stronger. I haven't regretted our decision. You can't be around me for long without laughing, so he is stuck with me. Lol Just think if we were feisty we would be Stepfor (sp) wives. Boring. Talk to ya later
DeleteHi Blondie. I recently discovered your blog, I enjoyed reading this post. I can relate about being feisty. My husband wouldn't want me change that about myself either. I just have to know when I can get away and when it's a very bad idea! Usually I manage it pretty well :)
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you are here. I read your blog the other day. I love my cowboy even though we are kinda city folk now. So I knew we had to be friends. I loved your blog. And welcome to blogland. Hope you find it as wonderful as it is. Any problems tell me Lol. Like I said before, if we aren't sassy and feisty, we would probably not have any reason to get a little spanking once in awhile. Gotta keep them on their toes. Thanks again for stopping bye!
DeleteTotally can relate to that post-though I'm never feisty;-). I am a "lake snob" as well. Rob is even on the radar, the dirt alone would be enough for him.
ReplyDeleteNow (you know I'm going to go here) let's talk about that room. Are you kidding me??? 14 right? She should be the one cleaning it, even if it meant skipping this trip. I know it will be a battle-just make sure you win. (Auntie Laurie's sleepy camp anyone?)
You are such a good mom (too good), I'll fill you in on my day alone later, really funny story.
Laurie
Dear Aunt Laurie, my little butterfly is all yours - she will be on the next plane out. Poor Rob, send him with Mick to the four star hotels. Lol I will call you later and we can catch up
ReplyDeleteHi Blondie, I just discovered your blog -- great post! My husband is the same way, and it's so good to be able to be ourselves with our spouses in lighthearted silly ways, isn't it? It's also great stress relief :-)
ReplyDeleteAnna
Anna, thanks for stopping by. I just went to your blog and very much impressed. Love the interaction between you and your husband. And you are now one of my heroes for being the kind and generous parent you are. Hope to see you around blogland
DeleteHi Blondie,
ReplyDeleteI just finished reading your blog and I loved it. I can't imagine how you find all those pictures that go with your words so perfectly. I could identify with many of your posts. I'm a math geek too and my oldest just graduated high school. Some of the other stuff too that I won't go into now. It was nice meeting you on the chat the other night.
Joanie
Hi Joanie,
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by and commenting. It was really nice chatting with you the other night too. Maybe we will see each other on the network for ladies chat. We can compare notes, LOL