Thursday, May 3, 2012

Our Way


Life is so full of ups and downs. Last week I was feeling so disappointed and this week those disappointments got a little, no a lot better.


 
My husband has never "grounded" me or told me that I can't do something cause I am in trouble. We just don't have that kind of relationship. When I have not done something or I have done something wrong, he spanks and we move on, slate clean. Sometimes there are spankings for "maintenance" or 'reconnect" and then some are for the erotic spankings. But he has neither the time or the interest to micro manage me. I have been a responsible adult and parent for a long time. Taking things away from me would probably be detrimental to our family. My teens text me all the time, B texts me and sometimes my friends and family text me. I don't talk on the phone a whole lot. The calls I receive are usually about something not social. So taking away the phone just wouldn' happen. We treat each other as equals, with respect and yes he gets the final say when we disagree. I would not be able to respect him if he treated me like I was one of his teenagers. I'm not. I am his wife, his partner and his best friend.


I have a weekly schedule, daily there is jobs for me to do. I needed this. When someone works outside of the home, they usually get to see the results of their hard work. While being a stay at home mom, the results are usually not obvious. I am contantly cleaning the house and picking up other people's messes. And someday, I am sure that I will see the results of my parenting, when the kids are older. But I was getting frustrated and bogged down. So with a schedule, I can cross off the chores that I got done, so even if the kitchen gets messed up right after I cleaned it, I know that I did it and it makes me feel good to cross it off. Plus everyday B holds me accountable for what I did or didn't do. If I am not going to be able to do something on my list, I need to let him know ahead of time. Not when he walks through the front door. The rest of my day, I am a taxi driver, nurse, chef, teacher someone who listens and gives hugs. Life is good. Oh and yes if I don't get my work done, B spanks.

For over twenty years, my husband and I have fought for the upper hand, to be the one to win the argument, to have things go our own way. 'we argued, we plotted, we hid behind the kids and we generally had a lot of discourse and stress in our house. Now I treat him with respect and I let him lead and he treats me with respect and he listens to me. I support him and he leads us. The more we do this, the more our house has become a peaceful place, the kids can't play us against each other and we love spending time together.

I know how much money there is in the bank, so I don't ever overspend. I think that I am actually the one who hates spending money more. Most of the bills are automatic payment so we have no problems with bills getting paid. We don't use credit cards, we save and then buy. The only issue with money that we have is that there isn't a lot of it and we need to be careful.



There is never enough time in the day. Many nights we are just falling into bed exhausted without having a real conversation. We talk throughout the day and we share with each other what is going on. But most the time, by the time he gets home, I am already gone driving one of the kids somewhere. Right now most of our evenings are at the baseball field, and we only have two kids playing this year. How did we do it when there was four of them? B is usually driving someone else somewhere as soon as he gets home. Then when we all are finally home, we eat dinner, make sure homework is done and we get the kids into bed. B and I then ty and talk but we are usually half asleep and just need to call it a night. I miss him terribly when we dodn't get to connect and check in with each other. No more do I dread him coming home and nor do I wait till he is asleep before I go to bed. I love falling asleep in his arms. It is nice to feel loved by him.

And last week when I was feeling so disappointed and sad because I missed him so much and it seemed like he didn' even notice, well things are better. Finally, late Sunday afternoon we talked. He didn't feel the wame way as I did. He thought everything was fine. He acknowledgedd my concerns and we spent a long time iguring things out. Did I forget to mention, that the next evening, we had a little (okay major) little reconnect. He wanted to make sure that I remember and never doubt his commitment to me. That he is not ever giving up on us and he is going to do everything he can to make us the best we can be. I am to trust him and to not let things bottle up, but to talk to him -COMMUNICATE!


 
I love my man. It is hard to remember what it was that I didn't like about him a year ago. Since July, we have been a team. And we are good, no we are great!

Well thanks for reading my rambling. I just had to write this all down.


21 comments:

  1. Sounds like you two are doing great. It's nice to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Like I have said before, your blog has been a lot of help for us as we figure everything out

      Delete
  2. Oh I'm glad you are feeling better Blondie. It's amazing to me how often we get down and our husbands don't quite realize what is wrong. Do we hide it well or are they not observant enough. I'm guessing we are pretty good hiders. Hope you continue to find little bits of good time for each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie. So true, my husband never seems to know that things are wrong but now instead of getting mad at me, he stops and listens, really listens.

      Delete
  3. This is so good, Blondie, going over things, evaluating them. You know it's funny, I can't seem to remember what I didn't like about Dave a year ago. I didn't even realize it until I read your words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacquie, I am enjoying your blog too because it makes me see things that are or were similar for us. Thank you

      Delete
  4. Thanks for writing you your ramblings down. All your pictures worked well in the post, too. So glad you got the reconnect time. I want to come back and read this again. I need to leave for work soon so just catching up on a few blogs before I go. But, so happy to read your post.
    Communication, trust, love....all great things in marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SNP, thanks but there is one more thing needed for a lasting marriage - commitment. Even when we didn't really like each other, divorce was never an option. Whatever our reasons were for not giving up, that is how it was. Guess we could have gotten old together, driving each other crazy.... But trying this lifestyle was a great idea as it has turned out. Hard to believe that something we thought was probably just another wild idea actually worked

      Delete
  5. Such a nice post. I think this is a perfect example of why I love blogs because by each sharing our journeys we get to see that we are not alone. I could have written so much of this myself. We sound a lot alike.
    "No more do I dread him coming home and nor do I wait till he is asleep before I go to bed. I love falling asleep in his arms. It is nice to feel loved by him." That is exactly where we are and were. It is a complete difference and it is somehow reassuring to me to know that the complete transformation we have seen in our marriage is not just us. Because it has happened to you and others I have hope that it can and will continue for us. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, I am and always will be grateful for my blog friends, like you, who understand the past and the present. Thank you

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, that is really nice to hear since it was kind of just me writing down my thoughts.

      Delete
  7. Aw, I loved reading this post and the beautiful connection you two have. Thanks for sharing your way :) And I agree on the grounding. One thing I asked for when starting ttwd was that he didn't ground me because I didn't want punishments to affect my social life or my school. He totally agreed. It's great you've found a groove that works so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He won't send me to my room or put me on a time out either. I think he knows that I would enjoy the peace and quiet too much and he would have to deal with the kids without me(well he actually is really good with the kids). LOL Sometimes I just wish that everyone could meet my husband, he is such an incredible man.

      Delete
  8. There was a time that disconnect was our normal. Now, it's amazing how much I miss him when we are in that phase. He sees me floundering, but for twelve years I 'trained' him to leave me be, I would come talk when I was ready.

    It's quite surprising to discover now that we are both thinking the exact opposite during these times, and I end up questioning WHY I ran. He's my husband, I can tell him anything...so why am I doing this. Communication is an area we are both working on together. Good to hear you're finding your way. Feels good, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always wanting to talk to him but he didn't listen and he would either ridicule me or just tune me out. He is now the one who says to me that he wants me to tell him what is going on and he validates my feelings. He has made a lot of changes too. We learned about communication and other things in marriage counseling but never used these tools. Now we do and WOW!!!!! It does feel good

      Delete
  9. Bottling up is my struggle, too, Blondie. I'm acutely aware of it, and trying hard. So lucky for sweet, gently firm leaders to help us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it is nice that I am not alone and that we can all learn from each other. We are very fortunate to have our wonderful husbands.

      Delete
  10. I can relate to so much in this post. I'm glad that you're feeling better now, that he took the time and energy to reconnect with you, to reassure you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Grace,I think that we are a lot alike in our relationships with our husbands. Life is much easier when you know you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agreed...on both counts! :)

    ReplyDelete