Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Mother Thinks I Am Strong

I have been trying to put my thoughts into words and have been really struggling. I was speaking to my mother the other day and she said, more than once during the conversation, how strong of a person I am. I usually don't really believe that because compared to her, I don't always feel like a strong person.
My mother had four children within five years. She was very involved in politics and fighting for equal rights. And she was the head of the family. My father was an alcoholic. By the time my mom figured this all out, she felt that she was unable to do anything but stay with my dad. They did not have a good marriage. My mother was always trying to keep us innocent and keep the family progressing forward. I never knew all the details until I was much older, about my parents marriage - because of my mom. But I was aware and witnessed a very poisonous marriage. When you are growing up, you don't always realise that what you are living isn't the norm, so you just accept it. I always knew that I didn't want a marriage like my parents. I wanted one like the Waltons or the Cunninghams or the Bradys or even the Wilders.
But I was my mother's daughter and I didn't take shit from anyone. Well except my mother, she was the matriarch, the dominant and she wanted to be the one to control me. If you didn't do things her way, then you were wrong. I was the rebel in the family. So at lost my parents funding for college after two years, a year later they stopped paying for everything and even took the car back that I was driving. But still, I moved farther away.
As I was pulling away and becoming my own person, the kind that does exactly what she wants, I met my husband. The first night I met him, he told me that we would have beautiful children some day. I thought he was crazy, I was thinking uh no, I am on the pill. What did I know? We now have five beautiful children together. My husband, boyfriend at the time, encouraged me to grow up and away from my mother. My parents did not like him one bit. And he didn't care. He made me see that it was okay to be my own person.
I married him when I was twenty-three. We have been married for almost twenty-two years. We did not start out knowing about dominance and submission. I thought that I was big and powerful and I debated my husband on everything. Both of us were opinionated and both of us were strong willed.
He and I have gone through so many ups and downs. I don't think that there is much we haven't experienced. Well except death and that is okay is we don't ever have to experience that. Kind of unrealistic since my parents are in their eighties but I can hope. Even during the times that I believed I hated my husband, we never quit. We promised each other that when we had kids, we would never ever divorce. So we fought for our marriage and we fought each other. There was so much blame and so many tears. 
I think that my mom saw a lot of what was going on. She saw the struggles that we went through with things like bankruptcy, unemployment, bad things happening to our kids and so many other struggles. At times I listened to my mom and really blamed my husband for everything. And he was angry at me. He really believed that if I just did what he said, then some of the bad wouldn't have happened. We even had over three years of marriage counseling and we still fought. Oh it was ugly.
But, and this is a very big but,  come the end of the day, the safest and most loved place for me to be, was in his arms. He was my rock. He was where I was safe. And nothing could take that away.
Finally, I realized what I was missing. My husband is the head of the house. He is the one I trust and rely on. And even if the way we do things are different, we have the same goals. Why am I fighting this man? We are a team. And so I began to listen to him and his suggestions. And he was kinder to me. I stopped trying to argue with him and he started listening to me. We then started ttwd and my husband has taken on the role of Hoh as if this was what he always had been. He probably was, I just didn't see it.
There are no hard set rules. We don't have time for him to micro manage me. I continued being the mom, the stay at home parent, the housewife and he continued to be the dad, the husband and the one who went to work and brought in the money. It is up to me, and it always has been, to do the scheduling, to figure out how we are going to pay for this or that, what sports the kids are going to play, sleepovers and parent conferences. But now we are a team, there is no dad and mom, there are us - the parents. There is only us - the couple. I like that.
So when my mom tells me how strong I am. I just think to myself how lucky I am. In my life, I have someone who has my back. I have someone who cares so much about me that he is the head of the household. I have someone who will keep my in line and take control of a situation when needed. It's too bad that my mother didn't have someone like my husband. She probably would have been so much happier if my dad was there to support and love her and to take care of the family. Someone she could rely on.

I am woman and I may roar but when all is said and done, I am my husband's wife.
And he takes care of me.


28 comments:

  1. That may be the absolute sweetest post I've ever read. I felt the pain and I felt the love through your words and nearly cried. It's posts like these that just make me wonder what non dders could possibly see that makes this kind of relationship bad when it has saved so many and created such strong, happy marriages like yours. I hope you two have many more blissful years! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. I agree with you about the non dders. I wish that it wasn't a taboo subject because it really has made a marriage so much better.

      Delete
  2. Strength comes from surviving and conquering adversity, whether within yourself, your marriage or from without. Sounds like you not only survived but found a way to soar with him. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your positive insight. It also helps to have the support of my blog friends, like you

      Delete
  3. I think you put your thoughts into words very well, great post :)

    Dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your always supportive words. I love hearing from you because you make feel feel like I got a hug from a friend

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post Blondie! You are a strong woman and you hit the nail on the head. You can be that woman because the two of you have created an environment that allows both of you to thrive in exactly the ways you each need to. It's awfully wonderful! Thanks for sharing this with us...what a nice way to start my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet. I am learning to share and hopefully write my thoughts down - learning from example of bloggers like you. It takes a strong woman to "put up" woth a Hoh. Lol

      Delete
  5. Blondie- you put your thoughts into words so beautifully here. I love reading your story of love. We too played the blame-game and it never got us any where.

    And isn't it great to know that our men still want us strong, and only want to help us to be stronger? I think they are attracted to our strength, not our weakness. Submitting means trust and they want and need that from us, so we can be stronger as a couple. That in turn helps us feel stronger within ourself.

    Submissive does not mean weak. Submissive means strong-backed up with *more* strength. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read your blog, sometimes it feels like I am reading my own story. Thanks for the words of encouragement. And thanks for making me feel like I am not alone.

      Delete
  6. You and your husband sound like such a strong couple! It's an amazing thing when you feel like you are on the same team, taking care of each other instead of working against each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has turned out to be pretty amazing. Together, we are unbreakable.

      Delete
  7. It must have felt wonderful to hear your mother say that to you. I enjoyed reading your story. It's great that your husband stuck with you, even if your family wasn't crazy over him yet. I think there is a LOT to be said for persistence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perseverance is my husband's middle name. He soesn't know the word quit, sometimes to his own detriment (like a bad job). After all these years, my family are very falsely judgemental towards him. He is quite the trooper and agrees to spend Thanksgiving with them every year but I would never ask him to do anything more. His mother thinks he is perfect and nobody is good enough for him but at least she likes me.

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a great post! I really respect people like you who fight hard for a marriage instead of walking away the minute it gets hard. Good for you. And roar, roar, roar. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once we had kids, we really truly swore that we would never ever divorce. We removed the word from our vocabulary. His parents divoced after 32 years of marriage and it really affected him and I couldn't imagine doing anything like that to my kids. Plus, my husband is kinda cute so he is good eye candy. Lol. Really, he is the best and he does support me roaring.

      Delete
  9. Great post Blondie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. Your post sometimes seems so similar to my experiences that I really like your blog very much

      Delete
    2. I enjoy your blog too Blondie! :)

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful, open and honest post. Thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for replying. I was able to find your blog from your reply and wow! You have a great blog. I love your honest and emotion. I so can relate. Thank you for your kind words

      Delete
  11. You are strong, Blondie. I learn a lot from you :) Your journey is beautiful..your happy ending is just beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stormy. I learn a lot from you. You have always been my support from my very first blog post. Yes, it is a beginning or another chapter in our book.

      Delete
  12. Such a beautiful post Blondie. By working together with our husbands we make each other stronger. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, thanks for reading my blog and posting a comment. I found your blog and it is great. We are much better as a team then we were any other time.

      Delete
  13. I just wanted to say thank you for leaving a comment about my story over at PK'.s This was a lovely post and you received some really great replies, too. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete