I don't have an everyday friend like that. Which would not usually bother me because I am a rather private person. I don't usually discuss much of my personal relationship about my husband with my friends. We may laugh about men in general or I might share something nice that he did. But that is about it.
And then I met a friend. I met her on the LDD network. And it is wierd that we bacame friends but I would have to say that there is a reason that we met. Both of our husbands were pretty adament about talking to others from the DD community except on the computer. No sharing personal information, no texting, no nothing. And yet both of our husbands agreed to let us text. And then the phone calls began. And I found that I had a best friend in her.
The amazing part is though we have never met in person, she has become an everyday friend. We talk or text throughout yhe day. My children think of her as my friend and as someone who cares about them. They ask about her and they give me messages to share with her. And in return, I have gotten to know through text some her husband and those closest to her. One would almost think that we lived close by. Yet we live on two different sides of the United States.
Our lives are totally different and we probably never would have met if it wasn't for cyber space. I am older (by about 14 years), I am a mom who stays at home, and she is an amazing force in her field of work. And I have never been to her town and she mine.
I now have this friend who knows more about me than any of my everyday friends. She knows me better than my sisters and we share this world that is different then others. She can make me laugh when I am down and she can point out the good in the bad and she has so much love to share that I feel totally blessed. It is nice to say that it was a "good or productive" spanking without having to explain what you mean.
There have been some good and some bad things that have happened to each of us before and after we have met. I find her to be one of the strongest of people I know. She doesn't see what I see. Her perspective on things are not always the same as mine. But I know that if I ever had to experience something hard, I would hope to be as tough as she. I know that she is human and there are some cracks in the armor. Thats what she would rather hide. She hates to ask for help and she doesn't like people worrying about her. Yet to know her is to love her. And when you love, you worry because that person has a part of your heart. It is not a worry that she won't succeed or won't be able to finish, it is a worry that there will be tough times and bad things that happen. I don't worry that she won't come out ahead, she will. Thank you for being my friend.


I loved this post! Just last night I had been wishing I could tell a certain friend of mine that I practice DD. I wanted just one person to know the entire me. The power of the Internet is huge. This friend of mine that I wanted to tell I had actually met online quite some time ago, I was 14 and she was around 40. It may seem odd, that is a big age difference, but she and I just clicked -- similar senses of humor, similar interests, etc. I feel that she's one of my closest friends and yet we live about a four hour plane ride away. We've only met once in real life but even if we hadn't met our friendship would be the same. That's why I LOVE this blogging community, it allows you to connect with people you never would have met before! Anyway, I'm happy to hear you were able to meet a really great friend!
ReplyDeleteRiley, I know you and I have already started a friendship. Your kindness, advice and your questions started off. I look forward to getting to know you better. Thanks
DeleteIt's so neat isn't it. It sort of hard that no one ever lives next door but this is the next best thing.
ReplyDeleteMan that would be awesome. I do have a few friends in real life that know everything and it's great, don't get me wrong, but it's not AS great as you would think. They still don't understand like someone else in this lifestyle does. It's great that you found someone who can understand!
ReplyDeleteYou are AWESOME!!!!
ReplyDeleteI am 100% sure that she considers you to be the most wonderful friend as well. In fact I am sure that she considers you to be like a sister. And I know that after a long and drainig day, reading this post made her smile.
Thanks!!!
People come into our lives for a reason whether its in person or a "pen pal" which is how i like to think of all my bloggy friends - my "pen pals" I have "met" a couple of really good friends in here the same way and its just wonderful.
ReplyDeleteLove and hugs kiwi xxx
I stumbled onto your post tonight and it was really nice to meet you!
ReplyDeleteVery nice post! I have a best friend in real life but she doesn't know about Dd and I'm ok with that. Maybe someday I'll tell her, but fore now S says no way! My bestie and I both have businesses at home and talk every morning M-F for an hour before work and family starts (around 5am) The funny thing is that we live in the same town, talk every morning, but MIGHT see each other like twice a year! Our lives are just so busy... kids are different ages... different extra curriculars.... I love her like a sister and tell her things that nobody else knows and feel blessed to have her in my life!
Take care... and thank God for your friend... people like that in our lives don't along that often!! ;o)
The network has resulted in several people becoming close friends - who talk, text, visit, plan to visit etc. I'm glad that you and she have bonded! Awesome!
ReplyDeleteI agree, she is an amazing person and so are you, and I love to see the friendship you share!
ReplyDeleteI also found friends like that through dd, and it's such a treasure.
I do have two friends in my real life who I have told about our lifestyle. It was hard to share but overall I'm very glad that I did.
Blondie, this was an incredible post!!!
Well some of you figured out who I was speaking about. My son once told me that he never tells anyone who his best friend is because he doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. He was 7 when he said that. That is not why I didn't say Sarah's name. I am proud of my friendship with her and I feel so fortunate.
ReplyDeleteI am very lucky to have made friends through the cyber world. I have learned to really care about you and what is going on in your life. If I listed all of my new friends, I am sure that I would forget one and I would feel terrible. But I am sure you know who you are.
Sarah has become my little sister and she has given me a so much. Thanks Sarah
This past year has been one that has been filled with enormous loss and grief. I have lost the people closest to me; my family. One of the true blessings that has come from this has been your friendship. I am so thankful and greatful that you entered my life when you did, and I know that you will be my lifelong "sister." Thanks Blondie.
ReplyDelete