It's been a little over a week since I blogged here. I even missed my Tuesday Sex Ed. post. I wish that I can say that I was resting on a tropical island.
And that I am well relaxed and feeling great.
Unfortunately the truth is, I have been living in the hospital room, sleeping on the reclining chair while my 19 year old son recovers from a serious illness.Brought him to he doctor's on Tuesday with flu symptoms. Poor guy also had a sore neck and back. Being that he is a body builder, we figured that he had pulled something. Yes, there was a niggling worry in the back of our heads. But there wasn't a rash, nausea, or some other symptoms that might indicate something more serious. Just a high fever, aches and pains, congestion, tightening in the chest - flu symptoms.
The kind doctor sent us to Emergency to get a spinal tap. That procedure alone, allows my son a spot in heaven. It was horrible. And the fact that he has a slight case of scoliosis made the procedure 10 times harder and it took two different procedures to finally get it done. He was admitted into the hospital. And has been there since. Diagnosis is viral meningitis. An infection that takes 5-7 days on IV antibiotics to get well. We are really hoping that he gets to come home today.
The funny part of all of this is (please don't think that I am not taking this serious but this is how I am not freaking out is by finding some humor) this son of mine is the healthiest 19 year old man that there is. Before the infection, he worked out six days a week, ate the healthiest of foods, and took great care of his inside and outside of his body. He is the one who is in the community college fire program, He will major with an AS in fire science and will be a trained firefighter.
He is also the youngest and best looking patient the doctors and nurses have seen in a very long time. They tease him about not belonging there. And how cute he is and healthy looking, and he just blushes. Hospital food? Now that is even funnier. He usually eats about 4000 calories a day and it is all healthy. First time the breakfast arrived, it was one scrambled egg, a small muffin and a little bit of oatmeal, cup of coffee, apple juice and a little carton of milk. His didn't know what to say. Probably the only thing that he would usually eat were the scrambled eggs and he eats egg whites. They hospital staff and kitchen all took pity on him. Now he always gets a double meal and he and the kitchen staff work out a healthy meal. Plus they give him turkey sandwiches (yikes! on white bread) for between meals. Even that isn't close to what he usually eats. But at least he is eating.

One doctor, one cardiologist, one neurologist, one infection specialist, three antibiotics, blood thinner, nausea meds, saline, morphine, and (heaven forbid) steroids to open his chest. Thank God for insurance.

I am at the hospital most of the time. Ty relieves me about four hours a day so I can go home and shower and take care of things there. He has kept the house up and is getting the kids to school and all of their sporting events. I go home and try to throw together a dinner and make sure they are getting on their homework. And Ty has been off work since he met us at the hospital Tuesday afternoon. We are exhausted. And to top if off, we both got sick and feel like crap. Last night, after my son's rugby game, I layed down on my bed and couldn't get up. Ty had fallen asleep at the hospital (drugged and with a mask) and my daughter was also there. We just stayed where we were. Prayers, prayers, and prayers. This is the fun part of parenting. Sometimes the kids are really helpful and sometimes they are just more trouble at home. I really laid into the oldest and the youngest last night for leaving messes everywhere and not cleaning up after themselves. Especially since the three middle kids haven't been around to make messes.
Everyone is one the mend. And by next weekend we will all be 100%. And everyone will be home.




Oh shoot. I was hoping you were posting to say all your family was back together again! Tell the others there is a can of maple syrup in it for them if they keep the house clean until you are all back home!
ReplyDeleteLove ya bunches !
willie
Thanks Willie, Just send the maple syrup to me and Ty, we will divvy it up when earned.
DeleteCrikey - that is one hell of a week. I'm glad your son is on the mend. Wishing you all better health, sleep and togetherness.
ReplyDeletehugs
DF
Thanks DF, Crikey! Who would of thought? Never pictured this child sick. Thanks for your support
DeleteI was concerned the moment u mentioned the sore neck...not sure if it's one ofvthe strains, as there are a few, but teens, college age kids at higher risk..good time to mention that there are extra vaccinations out there (over and above childhood ones) that this age group should seriously consider getting. ..any extra costs be damned...so glad u followed your gut and got him to the hospital soon enough!...nothing beats mom's intuition!
ReplyDeleteYes, you are so right. There is a vaccine that they suggest to teens, especially ones that are living in dorms, are around a lot of other students. I really believe my children are up to date on all their vaccines. I will find out at our follow up appointment. Many colleges are requiring incoming students to have had these vaccines: meningococcal, hep B, tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis. I would also suggest MMR vaccine (mumps, measles, and rubella). Where I live, a student is required to have been vaccinated (or a booster) for the tdap, which is for whooping cough, before they begin 7th grade.
DeleteThanks for letting me use your comment to push my vaccination information. And thank you for your support
a scary time for you...glad to hear your son is on the mend...take care
ReplyDeleteThanks Blossom for your kind words. They really mean a lot to me..
DeleteIt's a scary time; lean on each other and rest where you can. May God keep his loving hand on your son and provide comfort to you, Ty and the rest of your family. I'm going to text you as soon as I finish this comment.
ReplyDeleteThanks C, for your prayers. I appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers for my little family
DeleteOh, golly, that's a whole big bucket 'o' suck.
ReplyDeleteGood that it's something treatable, tho'. It's good to have a light at the end of a tunnel.
Hang tight, chica.
I think that I need to start using the "whole big bucket 'o' suck" That is a perfect description. Thanks for making me smile
DeleteThat will be a week to remember...glad it all seems to be heading in the right direction. Hugs..
ReplyDeleteabby
A week to remember, I wish it would be one that I could forget but I doubt I ever will. He was just so pale, tired looking, listless, and had all these tubes attached to him. Goosebumps from the fever they were having a hard time breaking. And the spot where the spinal tap was hurting as bad, if not worse than his neck was hurting. My heart will forever be sick when I think about him that way. But he is feeling better and is smiling again. Most important he is home and healthy. Thank you
DeleteI hope your son is able to come soon and everyone is well again! My brother in law had a brain tumor stroke that he didn't know about two years ago and they had him in ICU. It just reminded me of the story of your son with the hospital staff- he was the youngest one in ICU- he was 28 and all the nurses would stop in and ask him what he needed. He would also order weird and adventurous things, one time he filled out his hospital menu and ordered the seafood salad this young nurse came to take it and was like- um, no, you don't order seafood salad at a hospital.
ReplyDeleteThings will be back to normal soon, just try to hang in there and take care of yourself too!
Casey. Your brother in law sounds like a great guy. I find it much easier to laugh instead of stress or get upset. But some people don't appreciate it. Thanks for the laugh and your positive words of encouragement.
DeleteI sure wish you had been on that beach instead. But I'm so happy everything was caught in time to treat your son. Sounds like a really rough week. I sure hope this next one is WAY better.
ReplyDeleteThanks PK. Still not on the beach but it is a much better week. Thanks for your kind words
DeleteI'm so sorry Blondie, how scary! It's one thing when your sick, but when it's your child...it's horrible and terrifying. We almost lost our 5 yr old to sepsis two years ago, and I remember all those hours in the hospital just waiting. So glad your son is on the mend, and I'm glad he's getting some extra tlc in the hospital. I hope you all get some much needed rest and relaxation in the next couple of weeks.
ReplyDeleteHugs!!
Oh Jennelle, that is so sad. I can only imagine your worry with your little one. Even though your child is better, take a hug from me. Thanks for your kind words of support
DeleteGod Bless Indeed. So glad your son is on the mend and you and Ty are feeling better too. Prayers, prayers and prayers.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. I really need all the prayers I can get
DeleteWow! That's so scary. I am praying for him, you, and the whole family. Hope he gets to come home soon! Big hugs!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kris, Thanks for your prayers and good wishes. And a hug is just what I can use right now.
DeleteHi Blondie, I'm so sorry to hear about your son. That is scary! Glad you got him to hospital fast and that they are taking such good care of him. Hope everyone is well and back home again soon.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Roz
Thanks Roz. Thank you for your support and kind words. It was one of the scariest times we have had in a long time. He is just one of those kids who doesn't need a lot of attention and is so easy going, to see him so sick was terrible.
DeleteOh Blondie, I am so sorry to hear about your son's illness, what an awful thing to happen. Bless him. Hope you are all home and fighting fit soon. My advice is to bribe the younger ones to help out!!
ReplyDeletelove Jan,xx
Thanks Jan. Honestly, we have decided that the mess makers are my oldest and my youngest. I would guess that might be typical of those kids who are the oldest and the youngest. The middle ones are the most self sufficient and independent people I know. It was my second son that was (was!!!!) in the hospital. Lucky thing that he was already so healthy so he was able to fight back and even get out a day early. Thanks
DeleteOh my goodness, Blondie!!! I"m so sorry this is happening to your wonderful son and for the stress you must be feeling!! I am praying and sending healing energies. <3 <3 <3
ReplyDeleteRenee, My mind is remembering all of the encouragement you have offered and I am really touched. Thank you.
DeleteSending healing energy his way and love and hugs to you. I am sure that must have been a very scary feeling and I am glad he is on the road to recovery. Hope he is home soon...and you can go to that beach.
ReplyDeleteThanks Terps, your energy is just what my son needed. And I definitely could use the hug. I hope to get to the beach very soon
DeleteMy heart sank as I read this. Two years ago this month I was heading into a scary place with my daughter. My heart will be with you.
ReplyDeleteI truly hope that everything worked out with your daughter. My heart hurts just thinking that you would have to go through anything similar to this. Thanks you for your kind words of support
DeleteOh Blondie! My stomach dropped when you started listing the symptoms....I knew what was coming. Sending lots of hugs, prayers, healing energy, positive thoughts your way! Darn you woman...if anything like this happens again, please let me know....I will be more than happy to post a request for prayers for you and yours. Please try to take care of yourself so we don't discover you in the hospital also!
ReplyDeleteHugs and Blessings...
Cat
You are so funny. Ty and I are very private people, so when we were at the hospital we never really alerted anyone. Then I started getting texts from friends and family offering support and prayers. Ty and I were like, what the heck? Then it dawned on us. Our daughter and FB. And then their was also my youngest telling people at church that his brother had TB. I had to write a post on FB clearing up what my other children were saying, which is not something I would usually ever do. I was very touched my the responses we I received on FB. Even my family found out that he was in the hospital from my daughter's post. Our pastor and two of my son's friends were the only ones who came to visit, which was good because he was so sick. His friends came on the last day, entering the room in hospital gowns. They all laughed and ribbed each other while I stepped out of the room. It all worked out and now we are home, safe and sound. And, I guess I have to admit that there were others who got on to us for not reaching out. So I am sorry and I promise next time (hopefully there won't be one) that I will let you know
DeleteOnly just read this. Rough week for you. Glad to hear your son is on the mend. How's things now?
ReplyDeleteLove,
Ronnie
xx
Thanks Ronnie. I actually posted this the day before he came home. My blog friends always seem to be who I want to share things with. He is home, almost back to normal. And we are just so happy, I want to hug him every time I see him. Lol
DeleteThat is so scary! Praying for your boy and your family to get well quickly! There's nothing like being home to make you feel better. xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteThanks Maggie. We need all of the prayers that you can give. It is good to be home.
Delete