Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Movie: Edits & Additions


Well today it is going to be kind of like a personal view point.

Since it's release on Valentines day, the talk is back about 50 Shades of Grey. It seems like one only hears from the people who hate the books. Rarely do you hear someone say that the book was such a powerful eye opener to a different kind of sex.
Nope, you either hear those who find the book offensive, x-rated, smut. And then there are the ones who live the lifestyle (for real) are the ones that are more familiar with the kink. Where do you fall?

Oh and there is the group of people who claim not to like the book because of the poor grammar, incorrect information regarding the buildings, that some really exist, or the highways that are somewhat real but not factual in the book.
Where do you fall in this?

Me, I read the entire series and I can't wait to see the movie. Sure it is all fantasy and it isn't all factual but it's like most fantasy love stories, it's just fiction.

Do you know what target group of people read this book?  Wives between the age of 32-48. Women who could use a little eroticism in their lives. Isn't that why we read books about sex?
A FB friend and high school friend posted the statements from an article she had read. It's all about how the book/movie is evil because of what it teaches society.

This is all fine and dandy because that is what they believe. Who am I to judge their beliefs.

But since this is my blog, I am going to respond to some of their reasons.

1. If you’re good looking, rich, or successful, you can develop a violent sexual appetite and people will be okay with it.  Rich, successful, good looking men are usually how the main characters in the movies are described - and they are easy to look at.  1993, a movie came out called Indecent Proposal. Here we have the main character as the good looking rich guy - we are talking Robert Redford. And he offers a husband and a wife one million dollars to sleep with the wife. How many times have you participated or overheard a conversation about sleeping with Robert Redford for a million dollars. What is this rich man's kink? With a million dollars he can sleep with any unmarried woman. Most people don't even think about that. Why not? Isn't it an odd request, an odd need or want? If the mailman offered me a million dollars to sleep with him, well that would be a probably be a no. Why would I possibly damage my marriage for a man that looks like one of the seven dwarfs?  But frickin Robert Redford, that might be worth it if Ty was aboard. Knowing Ty, he would say okay but insist on videotaping in.

2. Sex is completely for pleasure and all love/romance should be removed from the situation.  Okay, if you want to believe that sex is for procreation and shouldn't be pleasurable, well I feel sorry for you because for me sex is good and even better now that I don't have to worry about getting pregnant. And the women who read the book are already having sex, sooooo.

3. Girls: If you hang around long enough and put up with a guy’s “issues”, eventually he might love you and change. If a girl hangs around long enough and puts up with a guys issues in hope of changing him, well that is an issue. But it is also reality that it happens with or without the movie. Many times people get married in hopes that this commitment will change the relationship, or that if they have a baby it will make things better. Ladies and Gentlemen, the only way a person can change is if they want to do it themselves, you cannot change them and if they try to change for you, it won't be enough. Hopefully, we are already teaching our teens this so they don't fall into this damaging relationship.
Plus give the main character, Ana, a little credit. She didn't want to change him, she wanted to stand by him while he fought his demons and leaned about the safety of love. Plus when she realizes that Christian isn't ready to change, she didn't stick around, hoping that she can make him.

4. Guys: You can do whatever you want to a girl and she’ll just take it because… she’s a girl What, are we in the early 1900's still Guys, expect to get your ass kicked if you assume a girl will do whatever you want because she is a girl. Girls of today may feel trapped in a bad relationship but that does not mean that just because she is a girl, guys can do whatever they want to her. There is something called Date Rape now where boyfriends try to control their girlfriends mentally and physically. But we have taught our daughter to tell someone is their friend is going through this and women are feeling more empowered everyday. But it is wrong and society is speaking up and against this kind of behavior.
Oh, and in the first book and the movie just released, Ana does leave Christian because she can't handle what and who he is.
5. If you put a lot of highly explicit sexual material into a story, people will make it a best seller and it will even be turned into a big budget Hollywood film . Why else would a book about sex be read, if it isn't about sex. Harlequin books have been around forever. Many a fantasy has come from reading these books.  And the movie will never be as explicit or done well as the book. Our fantasies are much better than an actual book.

Now for those who don't like the book because it doesn't accurately portray the BDSM scene, well so complaining and try to look at the positive side.
. Just think if one day I told my friend Carol that Ty and I enjoyed a little spanking within our sex life. She would be aghast. She would not understand that this is just something we enjoy and that it adds a little twist to our sex life. A year later, Carol reads 50 Shades (not telling anyone she is reading this book) and it really peaks her interest.
Maybe I am not as "perverted" as Carol first thought. She decides to mention to her husband about being blindfolded or having her hands tied to the bed. For crying out loud, look what ol' Carol has found to spice up her sex life. When you have been having sex with the same man for the last twenty years and you have no creativity left, a little bondage and a spanking might save their sex life.
Now all of a sudden, people are more interested in the BDSM kink. They might not understand the whole thing but they aren't judging others so harshly. Even if they just scratched the surface of the whole pleasurable kink lifestyle, at least they have had their minds opened. And a little dominance and submission has always added something to our sex life.
There are some old classic books that are much more descriptive and shocking than this movie. Would you watch them if they were made into movies?

Tomorrow, all by myself, I am going to the theaters and watch 50 Shades, the movie

Just a little addition to the whole post....
I am driving my 15 year old son to school this morning. The song "Love Me Like You Do" came on the radio. I said that I really liked this song. He said that he did too but it was getting old because they play it too much on the radio. I said that they were doing that because it was part of the soundtrack to the movie 50 Shades. He looked at me, horrified, and said "You mean that movie about the rapist"?

I hope that you all that are reading this post know that I am not expecting any 15 years olds to be reading it too. I know that there are some very young girls who have read the books. I really don't think that girls that are just hitting puberty or have never had sex should be reading the book. Once again, my opinion.

I did have to defend the book a little because it is not about rape. There isn't even coercion. My son just couldn't fathom that tying a girl to the headboard would be anything but rape. I decided to keep my mouth shut and let him keep believing that. His time will come some day, and he may or may not be introduced to anything different than the old missionary style. But for now, let him stay obliviously innocent.





28 comments:

  1. I'm going tomorrow too, with my friends daughter, because my friend says 'soft porn' is not her thing. I don't know when she became such a prude, surely not when she was younger. Oh well. I wouild go by myself too Blondie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well change of plans, when Ty finally understood that I was going to go today, he realized that if I am going he wants to go too. So we have a date on Friday morning. I am glad you found someone to watch the movie with. I have never been accused of being a prude, at least that I know of.

      Delete
  2. Blondie, Leigh, I want a full report from both of you. I read these books at your suggestion Leigh and I enjoyed all three of them. Do I think they are great literature? No, but if I'd wanted great literature I could have read Shakespeare or Charles Dickens. I enjoyed the story. It wasn't everything I wanted, but it was fun and I liked it. I haven't decided if I want to see the movie or not. That's why I want your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree PK. There is great literature, there are some great, well written fiction, biographies, and my favorite - books on fantasy sex and especially dominance and submission. Just have to understand what you are reading and keep it all in perspective. Go see the movie!

      Delete
  3. Great post!!!! I loved the books and saw the movie Friday with my husband! It was done, in my eyes, PERFECTLY!!! My husband on the other hand kept whispering to me things they missed.....I had to shhhoooosh him! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny. I am usually the one whispering things like your husband did. But I will stay quiet and just enjoy. And now my husband is taking me on Friday.

      Delete
  4. You know I was reading on face book links from film reviewers, almost all of them started off with, " I didn't read the books but....." I am not sure if they 'show' her inner Diva in the movies, because to me that was the best part, and I think you miss a lot without 'her'. Mostly as a D/s wife how she struggles with the fact she LIKES a lot of this stuff. And there lies in the problem with band wagon jumpers who claim this story is about abuse. Meh...what do I know, I'm sitting on a blistered butt! lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that she is portrayed well in the movie. All of the trailers, do not show a lot of them talking. I'll send you the books when you send the maple syrup. What did you do to poor Barney to get a sore bum?

      Delete
    2. I've read the books, so you can keep them. As for poor Barney? He is a huge fan of the 'wall buster' spankings as of late. The walls are down and he aims to keep it that way. Sounds great in THEORY ! lol

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed all three books. Enjoyed the journey they took together. ..got rid of his demons and feelings of unworthiness. Can they now live a life they freely choose and love? No spoilers. The first movie was factual and fun but would need several movie hours to explore such feeling found in the book. Go and enjoy. Both me and my husband went and had a great Valentines evening. There are lots if postive comments out there. See the Fifty Shades Group on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that there are others admitting to liking the book. I must hang around a lot of prudes. The story actually reminded me of an X-rated version of Pretty Woman, with Richard Gere and Julia Roberts. I am really excited to watch the movie. And I haven't been to the movie theater is years. I always wait till the movie comes out in video, that's how much I want to see it.

      Delete
  6. Hey Blondie...and Sunny...Have heard good and bad so really looking forward to your reviews of the movie.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if I lived closer, I would be dragging you to the movie with me. Then we could compare notes. Lol

      Delete
  7. Great post Blondie! I read and enjoyed the books and am definitely curious to see the movie. Will be interested to know what you think of it.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I am going to see the movie in a theater, well that's a big deal. Last time I went to see a movie, the price per ticket was about five dollars. If we could go together and watch the movie, that would be fun.

      Delete
  8. Hi Blondie, I have seen it. We went together yesterday and I loved it. I don't give a stuff what the critics say. What everyone has seems to have forgotten is that it is a STORY, made up, no one claimed it was true to real life. It was lovely in parts, sexy in chunks, cheesy in a few places and I can't wait for the next one.
    love Jan. xx
    P.S. we had great sex this morning too ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And how long have you been married? I figure there is a little spice in your bedroom. Lol I love it, lovely, sexy and cheesy. Great descriptions! I am glad that they are breaking the movie up by the books and not just doing one movie. That allows for more.....
      It is fiction, nothing more, nothing less. Some good sex and great descriptions

      Delete
    2. 33 years we have been married! I am glad you are going with Ty. enjoy. :)

      Delete
    3. Thirty three years! Wow, we have our 25th anniversary in May. Adding spice to our sex life is a definite bonus to keeping things interesting and different. Ty never knows what kind of kink I might throw at him next. Lol
      We can make our own fantasy come true and not have to worry about who might actually be the actor or actress who plays us in the movie. But we also don't have our own private jet. Betcha my room of pain would have more in it then Christian's did. Lol

      Delete
  9. I only read the first two 50 Shades books. I have to see the movie. I'm intrigued by the Madeleine Ker Harlequin book. I'll have to look that up. Interesting that you have Shayla Black's Wicked Ties. That book inspired me. I'd been reading a lot of erotic romance/erotica that wasn't well written. Then I read Wicked Ties, and I thought, "That's how it should be done." It showed me that you could write about sex, do well, and have a good story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you do write well. Love your stories. Shayla Black and some other similar authors are the ones who really introduced me to the whole lifestyle that we live now. I love the dominant-submissive and the bondage and the pain that can feel so good. Good times, good times.... And I still read those kind of books. Makes me very curious to go to a club

      Delete
  10. Lol, feel better now having gotten it all out? I can't stand it either, I mean when it all comes down to it, its just a book, lol. I enjoyed the movie. What did you think? I think I would definitely watch it again, but at home this time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel better..... I just noticed that we wrote similar posts. I am heading over to your site in a little bit. I can't wait to see the movie. I haven't gone to see a movie in forever, I always wait for it to come out on dvd. Not this time, I can't wait to see it. And I am still going to be cheap and watch the 10:00 am showing for only six dollars. Lol
      We might have to do a little post on the movie, like be critics and of course just rave about it - fantasy is always pretty good

      Delete
  11. I am nervous to see the movie since I enjoyed the books. They were not great literature, but I wasn't reading the books for that reason! I read Harlequins and many other books with spanking etc., in them. I do not want to get into a discussion with my vanilla friends and family, since my lips have been known to say to much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's why I am going to the movies without any girlfriends. It's too hard to explain. And it's really hard to explain how innocent the two are within the bdsm world. I love sex and romance books and I can't wait to see the movie. Go for it...... I heard that the movie is a good representation of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post!! So well written (and funny!). I actually enjoyed the trilogy and want to go with my hubby but we've been so busy. I will live vicariously thru you for the time being!! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Personally..I enjoyed all three books. I knew it would just be a matter of time before movies would follow. There are many sides to the story and it is interesting to read everyone's views. I enjoyed your well stated thoughts Blondie. It made for a great date for us with good times to follow. I could care less really what everyone else in the theater thought.. I got what I wanted out of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking forward to reading your review. I enjoyed the books. If a movie or book has helped me escape even just a little into someone else's world then I find joy in that experience, whether or not it is a great film or novel. It doesn't have to be great...my imagination can fill in the rest and take from the story what it wants. :-) I hope to see the movie though not sure when or where... Hugs

    ReplyDelete