I found a piece of paper the other day. It was kind of shocking. It was a list of things that my husband was doing that I thought were hurting our relationship. It was a list that I had made to take to the marriage counselor.
We had been seeing a marriage counselor for three and a half years. And about the time that list was made, it was probably the worst time for our marriage. It was about a year ago. I had pretty much given up on my husband. Divorce wasn't an option but that didn't mean that I liked him.
He was mean and cruel. I was passive aggresive. He felt like was doing everything, carrying the entire load. I felt like I did nothing right. No matter how I did something, it was wrong. The kids knew how to play us. They didn't like the fighting. They wanted me to stick up for myself. They wanted their dad to stop being so stessed. Our household was a mess. I felt so alone and unwanted.
Could we both be wrong and both be right?
From there to here, it's been a journey.
Our prayers were answered.
Our committment to our marriage and family was rewarded.
TTWD
When I submit to my husband, I agree to be respectful, to do my share of the household chores, to act like an adult and when there is a conflict I allow him to have the final say. In return, my husband listens to me more than he has ever done before, he supports me in my parenting, he is aware of what I am doing and we have become lovers and best friends again. He has always been a hard worker and a very honest and caring person. The communication is clearer between us. We are now a team.
I have found that submission comes from the heart. I submit to my husband because I love him and respect him.
TTWD
He spanks me. One thing I have learned is that a spanking can change my behavior or thoughts. If I have done something that I am kicking myself for and I feel horrible about it, he can spank me and we can both forgive and move on. It is such a feeling of relief for me. I don't have to continue to feel bad about myself. And when things in our relationship begun to fall backwards into old behaviors, then we can do a reconnect spanking where we reaffirm our relationship and it is like starting fresh again. No more hurt feelings or negative comments. It is so much better then the consant bickering.
Today, my heart feels like exploding when I think about him. I LOVE him so much. I love when he calls and checks in with me, just the sound of his voice. I can't wait till he gets home, I wish that he never had to leave. I love the way he is so much more himself, the man I fell in love with.
I wanted to just throw away the old note that I had found. But I decided not to because it is such an awesome reminder of how far we have grown. Things are constantly changing. Nothing in life stays the same. With God in our marriage, we will never give up. 






This made me tear up Blondie, b/c I remember similar moments and wondered what was going to become of us. One couple at a time! We must remember to remember (I know you know what I mean) and help others along as they struggle. There's always hope.
ReplyDeleteSusie, There is always hope. It makes me tear up too thinking of all that time we lost. Spread the word
DeleteThank you Blondie, me and my hubby at just at the start of our journey but what you describe is exactly how we both feel. You give me hope that all will be ok in the end.
ReplyDeleteThanks again
Sub_Rouge
The start is the hardest part, I think. We started over a couple of times, just trying to figure out what worked for us. Every relationship is different as are the rules and the consequences. I wish you luck, cause it will all be okay - just don't give up
DeleteLovely post. I am glad you found your bliss.
ReplyDeleteThanks sunnygirl :)
DeleteIt is a great post, Blondie. We all need reminders in our life and so I think you are on to something. It seems it was no accident you found the list that you made. You were able to reflect in a beautiful way about your relationship and where you both are now. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteSNP, actually I need to give you some credit for my openness in the post. I usually don't speak so openly about my faith in God but I saw how you did and I admired that. Thank you for you nice comment.
DeleteWhat a beautiful testimony! So happy for you that things are in a better place now for both of you!
ReplyDeleteThanks C, thanks for always answering my questions and being so open and honest. It helped me along the way. Life is good.
DeleteI LOVE this post. You guys are doing so awesome, and I too appreciate your honesty.
ReplyDeleteOnce I posted a heart wrenching letter that my husband wrote me some years ago. I only left it on my blog a day, but it was definitely hard to read. How we have grown, and how you have too!
So good to show others that there is hope. I remember dark days like you do, but there is always hope :)
Stormy, I only know that things were beyond terrible for us but neither one would give up. I didn't even know that dd or ttwd existed. I just kind of offered submission to him for some things and it just kept growing. Sure life isn't perfect and we have some moments that reopen old wounds. But it is sooooooo much better now.
DeleteSuch a beautiful post. It is constantly amazing to me the change in heart, attitude, feelings, etc that we have experienced since beginning this journey. It is inspirational to see how well this works for you. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThanks Zoe. If someone had told me about this dd a year ago, I would of thought they were crazy. Amazing how simple this is and how wonderful it works.
DeleteIt's things like this that show the new growth in the relationship. Must have been hard to read over though? So happy things have turned around for you both. Lovely post Blondie :)
ReplyDeleteDee x
Thanks Dee. The note was hard to read, it still brought back some old feelings. But forusing on the positive and knowing how things are improving and have improbed kept my hurt at bay. Things are really good.
DeleteOh such a lovely post, I'm so happy for you. My favorite part was when you mentioned a spanking could change your thoughts. It's so true. While it's a physical act, and could be used as a deterrent if nothing else, it really does adjust what's going on on the inside as well.
ReplyDeleteRiley, now I just need explained to me why I feel so positive towards a spanking when my bottom still hurts from the last one? Lol. Things are kind of stressful around here with the end of school, my oldest graduating from high school and baseball all stars (baseball needs to end). So two nights in a row. AAAcccckkkkkk. But I have a great husband.
DeleteIt's so easy to take where we are now for granted and that's why reminders like that along the way are good. We're encouraged to keep moving forward, even as we may regret previous paths taken. I'm glad you're in a much better place now!
ReplyDeleteGrace you are so right. Maybe that is why I found the note, so I remember the past and I can appreciate more what we have now. I don't think that I will ever completely forget those hard times but I will enjoy today and work hard for tomorrow.
DeleteWhat a beautiful reminder of just how far you have come in your relationship!
ReplyDeleteThanks Tess, it is a great reminder. Life is constantly changing.
DeleteThis is such a beautiful post! Kind of made me tear up a bit. I'm so glad you guys came out on the other side. Someone made that diagram at the bottom for me when I got married.
ReplyDeleteSuzie, when we first got married, I was not a Christian - I was just young and was not taught about Jesus. After that I did find Christ. So on our ten year anniversery, we renewed our wedding vows in the church and God has been part of our marriage ever since.
DeleteThis was beautiful, and was a blessing for a friend, I shared it with her.
ReplyDelete