Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Missy Turns 18


My beautiful daughter turns 18 today.
It's a wonderful thing and a time for celebration.
She told me, yesterday, that some thing she saw on the internet, told her to go and do something bad and blame it on your parents, let them take the fall because the next day she will be responsible for her own actions. Luckily, she didn't take the advice.

I was really worried about having a daughter. I didn't get along well with my mom, the boys were so easy, and I just didn't know if I could handle all the attitude I saw in little girls. I already had two boys when I was pregnant with her. Everybody kept saying "I bet you are hoping for a girl". I was scared to have a daughter.

From the start, she was great. She went to sleep happy, woke up happy. Always loved everyone, was brave, and got dirtier than the boys when playing. She wasn't afraid of spiders and was always tougher than the boys.

Yes, there were some hard times. When her little world fell apart, there were a lot of pieces to pick up. We are still working on this stuff. But none of that took away from her just be so loving and kind.

Amazing as it sounds, she and I did not have our first major argument till she was seventeen. And, unfortunately, we have argued a lot this year, always about her boyfriend - nothing else.

She is leaving in September to go to school. She is not going anywhere close, not even somewhere in the US or Canada. Nope she is flying over the ocean to attend school in England. What a great experience for her. Yes I will miss her terribly and yes I am jealous of this great opportunity she will have. She is going to have such a great time. And once again, braver than her brothers, lol. And now she is spreading her wings


28 comments:

  1. Hi Blondie,
    Congratulations to your daughter (and to you to have survived)
    Daughters are great. Once she spreads her wings and flies into adulthood you will have a companion for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I truly believe your are right.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to your sweet daughter. Congratulations to you for surviving another teen. I'm so envious of her...she is going to have an awesome adventure in England. And remember...you do have a few friends in England that will be happy to keep an eye on her and be there if she needs anything.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes , just thinking about what Cat said. I don't know where she is going but let me know if she is near me and I can help.xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks Cat. I am very jealous and very happy for her. She at a great age (out of high school) and the world is at her feet.

      Jan, I will definitely talk to you more about where she is going to be. Thank you for you offer

      Delete
  3. There are nothing like daughters. My son loves me dearly, but he's married and has his own life to lead. I think my daughter will always want me interwoven - at least a little in hers. I know it's going to be hard to let her go so far - but it's away from the boyfriend too isn't it? God bless text, email and the internet in general for allowing great contact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love my daughter soooooo much and I believe that she will be my friend some day. We are fortunate to have the girls "putting up with the boys" thing already going. And I am jumping up and down, just knowing that she will be away from him and she can really find herself.

      Delete
  4. Oh, happy birthday to your sweet daughter, Blondie! Next year my girl will be 18 and go off to school. I won't know what to do without her...I will be left with my two men (three , if you count the dog). And they don't like to shop! Lol. Good luck and God bless to both you and your girl as she goes across the sea to have a wonderful experience! FaceTime and Skype are great tools...I'm sure you two will keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I am going to do without her either. She is such a big part of my life. I can always count on her to be there for me, little things like zipping up my dress to the big things like telling her dad that he is being rude to me. Thank you for your good wishes. And I will now have to figure out all of this face time and Skype, even though there internet connections are only on during specific times.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful tribute, full of wishes and dreams. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C. I know you know how much I adore her.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday to your daughter, what a lovely post and tribute to her. She will have a wonderful time and experience.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. And thanks for your encouraging words. I will be here, towards the end of September, just falling apart. But she is going to just bloom

      Delete
  7. I hope your daughter has a lovely birthday, and a great time over here in England.
    love Jan,xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. I will be in touch with you, see how close you are to her and maybe let her know where to reach a friend if needed.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on raising a capable confident young woman, it's not always easy to raise kids they don't come with a manual clearly you did not need one. She will have a wonderful experience mine you she might get a new English boyfriend may be more than one. Adult life is just beginning who knows where it may lead her. Happy birthday to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna. Everything you said is exactly how I feel. The kids who attend this Bible college are from all over the world, so you never know where her next journey will be. I can see her continuing doing mission work but I also can see her living close to me and me spoiling my grandbabies.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations to both of you - a wonderful achievement for both. It's tough watching them leave the nest but knowing you gave them the courage to fly on their own, is worth the pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is all pretty exciting, especially assinng on that she will graduate high school in June and will be the head lifeguard at the pool this summer, and she will get her driver's license any day now. She is ready to go.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday and what a big milestone!

    I understand wanting to spread your wings like she is doing, awesome for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that I could have done all of this. I would have loved to travel all through Europe. She is much braver than me, plus she has her parents encouraging her to go, helping her find the money, and praying everyday. It is awesome

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness-- all the way to England for college! Wow. Happy birthday to your sweet girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was planning on going to Albania first. No, not Alabama. She might go there next summer to work at their summer camp but we will deal with it later. Thanks for the birthday wishes

      Delete
  12. Belated Happy Birthday to your daughter, Blondie!!! I loved your post! Our daughter spent a college semester in England as well. You know, I remember watching her go off through security at the airport. I was nervous and excited for her at the same time. What an adventure she had! It whet her whistle for so much more to come, as well as helped her gain confidence in herself and grow. Your daughter will have a wonderful time! Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the good news is, I am not usually a crier, so hopefully I won't be blubbering at the airport. I have been having airport dreams though lately. She will have a great time. Thank you for the birthday wishes

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday to your daughter.... What am exciting time you must be nervous.... Do not worry it sounds like your daughter will return home to you full of experiences and hopes
    Happy Mothers Day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am praying (and pretty confident) that you are right. It's always easier and better to be the one leaving then to be the one left behind. I am so excited for her.
      Thank you and Happy Mother's day to you too.

      Delete
  14. I'm hoping that the boyfriend isn't going to England. Maybe some space will do them good.
    Usually, when boys get married, they move on. But when girls get married, usually they are closer to her family than his. I bet this is what will happen with you and your daughter.
    Hugs to ya....

    ReplyDelete