Monday, October 28, 2013

Kinky Sex and the Church XXX



I have trying to figure some things out lately. This is something that only I can decide what is right for me and what I believe.

I was not brought up as a Christian (or with any other religion) but Ty was. As a youngster, he was very involved in his church, even went to parochial schools. I never really realized that there was an entire culture of people who believe in some kind of higher being. Ty, as he became an adult, stepped away from the church but always kept his relationship with God. I was very curious about Ty's beliefs and I began to ask a lot of questions and read a lot of information.

It wasn't that easy for me to just have faith or believe in something I couldn't see, touch, feel or have a conversation with. It took me a very long time to see things and to finally believe and have faith. And since then, my life has changed. I have witnessed Jesus and the power of prayer. I have also felt anger towards God, felt abandoned, questioned his existence and began to think that maybe God doesn't exist. Looking back, I see things more clearer and my faith has grown.

My older children are beginning to question God's existence and religion. They attempt to try and argue things with me that are in the Bible. I cannot force them to have faith or to believe just because I do. I am glad that they believe enough in themselves to learn and make their own decisions. You really can't tell a twenty year old that this is the way it is and don't question why.

So why am I telling you this whole story? Well because Ty was explaining why he didn't want to go to church. He belived in God, he loved the people in our church and was friends with many of them. So why? He said that he felt like a hypocrite;  kink and Christianity do not go together. I went to church without him. Throughout the entire sermon, I thought about his comment. I was really torn.

Let me clarify, when I say kink, I am not talking about DD or CDD or Taken in Hand relationships. It's the erotic part of our sex life I am talking about. The spankings, the bondage the role play, etc. Is there in place for Kink in the Christian religion?

In our church, our Pastor has preached about sexuality - the benefits, the reasons, how it is good, etc. But there has never been any talk about kink in the bedroom. Hmmmm, I wonder if he or his wife have ever read 50 Shades. I am not going to discuss my sex life with anyone (except blogland). I never have and I never will. When other ladies are laughing, comparing, explaining, complimenting or complaining, I never say a word. Sex was the most intimate thing in our lives. It was the one thing that only Ty and I shared together. We can kiss, hug, sleep with, share our troubles, etc.. with other people. But sex is ours. We are two consenting adults, married and we not only love each other but we trust each other.

I came home from church and immediately googled  KINK RELIGION. It surprised me that the number of articles that I found were all pro kink. I kept googling, trying to find any article that clearly states that kink is a pagan things and is unreligious. I even went to specific Christian blogs that were very conservative.

These are two articles that I found that were the most helpful and informative.

 http://www.alternet.org/story/144477/christian_kink%3A_why_traditional_religion_and_non-traditional_sex_are_a_good_match

What really answered some of my concerns and questions, from the above website, is this part of the article. I hope that you read the entire article but this is what I felt was most meaningful.

Body, Mind and Spirit
There are certainly plenty of aspects of sacredness and spirituality that are present in BDSM activities. A fantastic example of that is the aspect of service. In most religions, adherents are taught that to submit to their deity and be of service to them (or to the world in general) is one of the highest forms of faith. So for a submissive or slave to offer themselves to a dominant, and to serve the dominant’s needs and desires, can fulfill the same need to serve that missionaries, ministers, and others who follow a religious calling experience. There is a deep sense of satisfaction at the core of service, for those who do it for religious reasons as well as within relationships; many people continue to offer service simply because of the feeling of rightness that they experience as they do it—regardless of the context in which they serve.

A number of religious traditions also involve enduring trials and overcoming ordeals in order to experience a sense of transcendence or to gain self awareness through the loss of external control. From the self-flagellation of Catholic monks, to sweat lodge and vision quest rituals of the native Americans, to the physical trials of yogis, to the routine fasting in a number of religious traditions, undergoing and enduring painful or challenging situations has long been regarded as a path to transformation and communion with one’s higher power. When compared with the experience of “sub space” that many people experience during a S/M scene, or the sense of dissociation from an intense bondage or mummification experience, it makes perfect sense that people may use a BDSM context for exploring these deep unknowns in life, and using them as ways to alter their perspective of a situation, or even of their lives.

http://embracingtherisk.blogspot.com/2006/09/should-christian-couples-embrace-kinky.html

This is another article that I hope you to take the time to read. Some ideas that really caught my attention were:

“It’s hard,” he continues, “to make the transition from ‘sex is bad’ when you are young and single to ‘sex is good’ when you are married.” In fact, “sex is the most wonderful gift God ever gave Christians.”
It’s a simple one: Sex is good. Good sex makes people happy. It deepens relationships. So it helps marriages last and that pleases God and makes society better.

“Christians should be having great sex lives! We should be having better sex than anybody else! So drop your inhibitions at the door of your own house,”
and one that made me laugh:
“Why can women be multiorgasmic and men not? Well, I’ve decided God just likes you better! ... What’s the difference between a woman with PMS and a Doberman? Lipstick.

After reading these two articles plus many more, have I reconciled the church and kink. I still don't have all the answers and I am still contemplating.
What really matters to Ty and me, is that this is our bedroom, our lifestyle and it is not hurting anyone. We are not doing anything illegal, anything that would harm our children (though if they catch us, they may have nightmares) and we really are not doing anything that contradicts what Jesus says.
As a Chrstian, I follow the teaching of Jesus Christ, not of his disciples or what others say is right or wrong.

Jesus is recorded as having made only four direct comments that might be interpreted as relating to sexual behavior.
 And not one of his comments said anything about kinky sex. Sex is good



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

27 comments:

  1. I have got the time to read the articles this morning, but I want to later. All I know for sure is that God created sex, and he gave woman a special body part that is totally for enjoyment, having nothing to do with procreation. I think this says a lot. As you said what we do in out bedroom hurts no one (well maybe my rear for a moment). Since bringing 'kink' into our marriage both Nick and I are happier people. I think that makes us better parents, better workers, better in every way. Anyway, that's the way I feel. Great post.

    Elis (PK) google won't let me sign in as myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really come to realize that God is good. There are no rules about what we do sexually. So, I am going to enjoy my kink and continue going to church without feeling like I am doing something wrong.

      Delete
  2. I agree, I don't think God cares what we do in the bedroom as long as the marriage unit is uplifting to one another.
    What he does care about is what is in our hearts.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob. We are definitely in agreement here. Sorry I haven't been around and chatting. I have no excuse but I am back.

      Delete
  3. This was a great read Blondie! I have to say I have never overtly struggled with kink and religion but I have struggled with letting go ( I suppose it may very well be from my upbringing, although I think it is still a control thing within).

    Can I just say, I am so happy to see you writing again. Like really writing about you. I missed this part of you.

    love
    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letting go has always been difficult. I think that is part of the reason we started bondage and stuff. I could let go because I wasn't in charge. Now I have the hang of it with out feeling like someone else is in charge.
      I would say that I also gave up myself to Jesus. I believe that God's love is unconditional and no matter what others think about kinky sex, God still loves me!
      I am back, hope that doesn't scare ya! Blondie's name will be appearing in comments galore.

      Delete
  4. Good for you Blondie! I think my husband and I struggle with this a bit too but find it somewhat hard to talk about. I can't go read all the articles right now but will try to tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, even today, Ty and I were discussing this issue. There is a lot of support here in Blogland to be free to be yourself. I don't know how much support one would find in the church. Yet, I don't discuss any part of my sex life, so no one has to know.

      Delete
  5. This was really well put. Thanks for posting. It's true... we are taught sex is bad and my parents certainly made that ingrained in my thoughts. It was difficult to overcome that in marriage. SM wanted things my mother said were WRONG!!! But, when I investigated that in the Bible, I couldn't find what she said was true. God did create sex and marital sex is beautiful. It's made a world of difference releasing that guilt so I can enjoy being with my husband. Thanks for posting this!

    Sara :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that I am not the only one who questioned all of this and tried to find where in the Bible anything was about sex. I do agree with you, why would God give us something so wonderful if we weren't supposed to enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. I agree WHOLE-HEARTEDLY. I am very spiritual and absolutely believe in bringing spirituality to sexuality. I think it is a shame that it has been separated, or that so many people that religion and sex--or I should say ENJOYMENT of sex--do not go together. Thank you for this wonderful analysis!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee. Can you write a story about this issue???

      Delete
  7. No matter what anyone does or doesn't believe religiously believes, our bodies do function this way for a reason. So whether one believes that god made us this way or we just ended up this way, we are what we are. Theres nothing wrong with enjoying what our bodies have to offer. As long as we are good people, doing good things, living good lives... What anybody does in moderation especially when it's something coming from within (vs a drug or something) I just can't see how it's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try very hard to not judge anyone, yet sometimes I chuckle at how prudish people are. I guess that isn't very nice either. But that thought of "you just need to get laid" comes to mind at times. You are right, be the best you can be, do the right thing and enjoy your sex life.

      Delete
  8. Hey Blondie...thanks for a very thought provoking post. I was raised that sex was 'bad' unless you were married and even then, a woman wasn't supposed to enjoy it! LOL

    Ya know...not knocking anyone's church or religion, but most of the 'rules/laws' regarding sex come from organized religion not from the bible. Then of course, we can go into different versions and translations of the bible. Only one bible and how many religions/translations/interpretations? ROFL

    Alrighty then...now that I've stirred things up a bit, I'm off! ;)

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat, I agree with you wholeheartedly. That is why I went to the Bible and not my Pastor to figure all of this out. And I didn't look at what the disciples said, I only read what Jesus said. I am a Christian and it is His teachings that I follow. Man made rules are just that.
      It's funny that I just thought about something. Ty calls me a Lake Snob. I only like real lakes and not man made lakes. I was raised in Lake Tahoe, and I appreciate the clearness, the sand and the beauty. God made that lake, not man

      Delete
  9. Great post Blondie. It sounds as if I was raised very much like Ty. I since have strayed from religion, not God, but religion. Like Renee, I am very spiritual and find it hard to believe that a loving God does not want us to enjoy life in whatever form it takes. I believe the Golden Rule is the only one that applies. I cringe at some of the things I hear come out of the mouths of "so called Christians" and know, deep in my soul, that is not what God has planned for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy do some of those "so called Christians" give the rest of us a bad name. Ghandi was quoted as saying something about that he has no problem with our Christ, it's the Christians that he doesn't like. This is probably not exactly what he said but this is how I remember it.

      Delete
  10. When younger I struggled so very much with sexuality and the 'church.' But I remember a conversation with my mother who is the epitome of the most holy woman...she said, 'anything between a husband and wife is fine'
    For me, I don't care if you are gay or straight or whatever....I agree that a loving God would not give us such a gift and tell us not to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minelle, I wish my mother said something like that to me. I agree with you 100%, I believe that God gave us this wonderful gift

      Delete
  11. I think that God was pretty clear when He said (in Hebrews 13:4) "Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled". To me that says that whatever you do there, just so long as it involves only the people in the marriage (thus the MARRIAGE bed), it's just fine with Him. There are certainly many things that He was specific about condemning sexually (adultery, incest, bestiality, etc), so I think that if He had a problem with spanking or BDSM or foot fetishes or golden showers or any other number of things He would have said as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read Hebrews bit maybe I should have. Thanks for sharing that scripture with me. Once again, another part in the Bible that doesn't judge peoples' sexuality.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for a very interesting blogpost, Blondie !!
    I'm raised in very conservative religious environment and almost everything was "sin." Because I understand TY very well. I've been there myself. I have decided to refrain from receiving communion for many, many years.

    Now I say this: When they asked Jesus what to do to get to heaven so he talked about LOVE as the most important thing. He said nothing about the kink ... lol .. And love has many shades. If you do something that makes you feel more love for each other, how can this be wrong?
    Had it been so important, had He in his wisdom mention "no kink". Nope ... lol ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine there being a line in the Bible that quoted Jesus using the word Kink? Lol I wonder if those people who put the Bible together would put that in their Bible or would it be edited out. Okay, now I am being silly. But just thinking about the words Kink, BDSM, and all the other fun words being in the Bible. Now I am really giggling. Don't ask me why I find this so funny.

      Delete
  13. I struggled with this too in our marriage, we haven't gone to BDSM so much, but the door is open to that if the Duke ever wishes, but we still participate in some quite kinky things. And I agree with what you have found, and found a lot in my research as well. Sex is between us and our spouse, before God, and no one else. Look at how much trust you have to have in your husband to let him lead you in BDSM. I think you are giving a perfect example in those moments of submitting and letting him guide you, and that is very Biblical. He isn't looking to make you less worthy in your kink, that is when it would be a worry, as God greatly talks about lifting one another up. But if he's helping you find a good place in yourself, if you're feeling loved, sexy, and wanted, then I think you are in a wonderful place. God did design sex to be a wonderful blessing, and it's great that you guys are enjoying your sex life. I think God would be very proud of you for being so free with His gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Very well said. Love how you said it. Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed undefiled. Hebrews 13:4 Seems if you believe in god and think he/she created your body and all its parts, and your soul with all its desires, that he/she would be good with anything the two of you want to do together.

    Do not deprive each other I Corinthians 7:5 Also read Song of Solomon.

    If you need further justification, support, reassurance, there are many groups online who practice BDSM under the cloak of religion. My personal opinion is they are kinky and feel bad about it, so they need to find a way that God would sanction it.

    I think what is confusing for a lot of religious women is that they are taught not have to have sex before marriage, or outside of marriage, so they have trouble being wanton in the bedroom. It is hard to switch it off and on.

    ReplyDelete