Thirty years ago today, I met Ty.
I was a student, just transferred to a new college, living with my sisters, recently single from a one year relationship, and out with friends looking to have fun.
We were at a bar dancing. I wasn't allowed to drink yet because I was only twenty, so the actual bar part was off limits. I had been out dancing and the song had ended and I was heading off of the dance floor to get a drink of water. I was following behind a real good looking guy and all of a sudden he turned around and asked me to dance. I, at first, told him no, I wanted something to drink but he convinced me to just dance one song. About five songs later, I really needed a drink. He told me thanks for the dance and we went our different ways. (He was old enough to drink)It was kind of funny because as soon as I was off the dance floor, girls I hadn't spoken to or even knew were there were asking me about the guy I was just dancing with. I didn't catch his name and I didn't know if we were going to dance anymore. Remember, I was out to have fun and not meet any guys, still burned from my last relationship. But there he was, wanting to dance some more and I was off to the dance floor where we danced until the bar closed. He was amazing.
What happened next, I am not really proud of. But he was my first and only one night stand. I took him home to my house and we had sex. I remember him telling me that we would have beautiful kids and me replying, that no I was on the pill. (But he was right.)
He happened to leave his wallet at my house, so I drove it to the address on the license and returned the wallet to his roommate. I left a note with my phone number in case he wanted to ever meet up again and be friends. I was not looking for a boyfriend. I get a call that night from him and he was all freaked out because I knew where he lived and this is when that movie Fatal Attraction had just come out. I thought he was being a jerk, so I hung up on him and that was that.

A week later, he started coming into where I worked, a little coffee shop on campus. I refused to help him even though he sat at my table. But the guy was persistent and after awhile my co-workers felt bad for him and made me serve him. Well, he was apologetic and wanted to know if we could go out. How could I say no to such sincerity?
So we started dating and have been together ever since.

Thirty years later and I am so in love with him. I cannot believe how lucky I am to have found him. He loves me no matter what (and I am not always very lovable). We have grown up together, dealing with life and it's challenges, and still no matter what, here we are - through thick and thin.

Blondie! I love your story. I can completely picture it. The one night stand guy who is great looking "jerk" and you are done with him... until you end up married with five kids and living happily ever after. Isn't it wonderful that first impressions don't always stick. :) Amy
ReplyDeleteThanks Amy. Married with five kids, who would have guessed?
DeleteHi Blondie! :) What a wonderful story! Loved hearing how you met Ty, and how your relationship evolved into the special love that you both have for each other, after all these years. So nice to have a partner who loves us no matter what, through all that life brings. Congratulations on 30 years since you met! Many, many hugs,
ReplyDelete❤️Katie
Thanks Katie, I love our story and I love where we are now after 30 years. Looking forward to the next thirty!
DeleteHi Blondie, What a beautiful love story of how you met Ty. Congratulations on 30 years, well done.
ReplyDeleteHugs Lindy xx
Thanks Lindy. I am really happy with where we are after all these years. Question for you,..... do you have a blog?
DeleteI love 'how we met' stories. This is a lovely one. Seems like you are both very lucky.
ReplyDeleteThanks PK, we are both very lucky.
DeleteBlondie,
ReplyDeleteI love your love story. Thirty years is a long time.
Meredith
Thanks Meredith, I love our silly story too. Thirty years is a long time but it went by fast.
DeleteHi Blondie, I enjoyed reading this. Thank you for sharing how you and Ty got together. Congratulations on 30 years of togetherness :)
ReplyDeleteHugs
Roz
Thanks Roz, glad you liked my little story. Here's to another 30 years of togetherness :-)
DeleteHi Blondie, oh what a lovely story. So glad you are still happy all those years later.
ReplyDeletelove Jan, xx
Thanks Jan, it is a silly little story with a happy ending, well it's not over yet but at least that part is over with. No more doubts. I think we know each other pretty well now.
DeleteBlondie, We have grown up together, dealing with life and it's challenges, and still no matter what, here we are - through thick and thin - a lovely story of your meeting with Ty. Thanks or sharing
ReplyDeleteLove,
Ronnie
xx
Thanks Ronnie, glad you liked the story, especially the end of it. It was fun remembering and laughing about it.
DeleteHow lovely - this was such a testament to true love. May the rest of your lives be as wonderful and loving as the last thirty years.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sunny, I am looking forward to spending the next thirty plus years with this man, he is truly the love of my life. Wish I could tell a story like you do.
DeleteGosh that was soooo romantic! Thank u for sharing your "how we met" story :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Fondles. It is kind of romantic, our little "how we met story". There has been a lot of good times and this is a fun memory.
DeleteFun story, Blondie...happy you feel in love with each other and he turned out to be a sweet guy rather than a jerk. ;) Thanks for sharing...happy 'anniversary'.
ReplyDeleteHugs and blessings...Cat
Thanks Cat, he will be happy to know that I let him off the hook of being a jerk, lol. He is a good man.
DeleteThat's a lovely tale. Thank you for sharing,
ReplyDeleteHugs
What a lovely story.
ReplyDeleteSo great to hear the story of how you met. Thanks for sharing. Many hugs
ReplyDelete