It's over. A whole year of heartache. Not a calendar year but a year that began a little bit over a year ago. You all probably remember the issues with my daughter right before she left for England. July - September, she was full of all kinds of antics which broke my heart. What I never finished posting was the about the time when she was away and when she came home.Missy pretty much went off of our radar when she started school in England. I would send her messages asking her to contact us and we would get no reply. When she did contact us, the messages were short and really had left us with more questions than answers.
Around Thanksgiving, we were alerted to some of the issues that were going on with her. Missy had told the school a bunch of lies, and the ones about Ty and me were preventing the school from calling us. The school was talking to the woman who flew Missy over to England, who was also one of the people who was a reference/sponsor. Missy had told the school that her dad was dying, her mother was an alcoholic, that we didn't believe that she needed her prescription drugs so we wouldn't help her get them from home, and so on. I really hope that I don't have to explain this nonsense to you. She was using these excuses to explain her way out of trouble for not doing her homework and getting caught breaking rules. By the time we got involved, it was pretty much too late to help her. And Missy losing about fifty pounds since arriving at school was probably the final straw.
Missy spent Christmas break in Germany with friends/missionaries from our home church. Again she burned her bridges there. And the school had told her that she better gain some weight over break, which of course she didn't. I won't even go into the details of me playing detective after she didn't return home one night. But find her, I did.Flying her back to England was another major problem. She never signed up for the shuttle that would bring the students from the airport back to the school so we had no feasible way to get her there after she flew back from Germany to England. STOP THE PRESSES!!!
A BIG THANKS TO DEL FONTE!! Del Fonte, who I have never met in person, was willing to pick my daughter up and bring her from the airport to her school. Can you imagine anyone being so kind as to do this for someone that you have never met. Del, your kindness and generosity was probably the best thing that happened to me the entire time Missy was overseas. I will never forget this and you have a friend for life.It turns out I was able to get her to the airport, had to purchase another ticket. And we got her onto the shuttle, so she made it back to school.
No, she had not gained weight but actually lost a couple of pounds over break. She returned to the same problems even though she trued to apologize to the school for lying. So about two weeks later, the school thought it was best for Missy to come home. They used the weight as the main issue, and she had lost about 50+ pounds since starting school.
Why does my momma bear still come out even when my child made this mess. I told the school what I thought of them and I made sure that they drover her to the airport, I made sure that they let her say her good-byes (they wanted to have her leave quietly) and I did all that I could to change their minds.But home she came, with no eating disorder. Believe me, that girl can put down a meal. But not in England..... We did take her to personal physician, psychologist, and psychiatrist.
The selfishness of my daughter has just amazed me. I was brought up so properly and I really thought that I taught my children these same good manners. She never mailed off her thank yous. She misbehaved, causing drama with out friends in Germany, and she hid from all the people that loved and supported her when she came home.We, well mostly me, the enablers, bought her new bedding and helped redecorate her room. We tried to find things to keep her mind off of being kicked out of school. And I argued with her, till I was blue in the face, that she was okay and she needed to pick up the pieces and move forward. Both Ty and I were trying to find her things to do. But she laid around, needing a shower, wearing sweats, and texting all her friends in England.
Unfortunately, my heartache with her didn't end there. More about her later.
I still had four boys and a husband to take care of. Ty's still has health problems that has really slowed him down and he just hurts - his feet, hands, muscles. And he has been tested for everything and seen about a dozen doctors. At times he can get down but usually he is too busy to think about his pain until he has to stop because of exhaustion. My oldest son refuses to grow up. He is living on the couch, working at a retail store, getting high and playing video games. And this is the kid who is points away from genius level but can't stay in school. My other three boys just have their normal issues for their age. About 90% of the time I have no worries but about 10% of the time my hair turns even grayer (or whiter in my case).
Sorry doesn't seem to cut it but not sure what else to say. Praying things get better.
ReplyDeleteYou have your hands full and then some - I'm so sorry you are all having to go through this. Keep sharing with us, maybe we can't change anything, but we do care and maybe sharing will help you a little.
ReplyDeleteI understand. You may have gone into hiding, but you were NEVER truly alone in this. Don't go under again!
ReplyDeletewillie
Oops...I, oh never mind..this also should have been there~ I know at times sharing 'here' isn't the easiest thing. Sharing anywhere about where are children are in the moment is so very difficult. There are so many reasons for that. One is pride, and embarrassment, but perhaps the greatest one, is worrying that people will see 'her/his' error in judgement as the sum of all their parts. It isn't. You know that, and most of us know that too.
ReplyDeleteIt can be so lonely going through the year you have. Many don't talk about this kind of year. It is a shame though, because maybe the countless others who have gone through things very similar wouldn't feel so alone or 'abnormal' if we did share. I believe it took a lot of courage to share with us.
Blondie, thank you for sharing. I'm sorry that you've been going through all this. To say that it's hard is an understatement I'm quite sure. I've thought sometimes about sharing more about the struggles we've been going through too (some having to do with our daughter as well), but I haven't really shared that much at this point. It's hard. It's hard to go through and it's hard to share. But, I think that many times sharing can be good, for you and for others. We don't have to be alone in our struggles. How wonderful that Del Fonte was willing and able to help! Anyway, thank you for being brave and sharing. I hope and pray that things start to look up for all of you. (((hugs)))
ReplyDeleteAwww sweet Blondie...my heart hurts for you. So tough when our children act up/out. Hang in there...you and Ty have are wonderful parents and have given your children a good foundation...what they do with it from here is on them. Still marvel that my oldest lived to grow out of the nonsense he pulled. And even though I didn't give birth to her, my youngest DIL is lucky she is still alive for the nonsense she is pulling...youngest son isn't far behind her for allowing her nonsense. Even gave them a paddle for Christmas and the turkey hasn't even used it! Sending prayers and positive energy your way...please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you.
ReplyDeleteHugs and blessings...Cat
Hi Blondie, you have been dealing with so much this last year and I'm so sorry you have been going through this. I can imagine how hard this must have been. I agree, it took courage to share your struggles and I'm so glad you did so that we can offer our support.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful of DF to help your daughter. Sending positive thoughts and prayers.
Hugs
Roz
What a year you have had Blondie. Thinking of you and hope things get better.
ReplyDeleteI've met DF and she is a lovely person.
Love,
Ronnie
xx
Sorry to read how tough things have been and that your daughter's time over here didn't work out as planned.
ReplyDeleteRegardless of what was happening, I would have been there if you needed me.
Being a parent is the hardest job in the world and one that comes with a shed load of doubts and worries. And, yeah, I'm sprouting grey hairs every day.
Sorry you are going through all this Blondie. Thank you for sharing it with us, wish there was something I could say to help. Hopefully your daughter will see what she has done to you and the family before too long and things will improve. Sending positive vibes your way.
ReplyDeleteHugs Lindy