Thursday, August 25, 2016

More Information on my Adoption Story


If you have been reading my blog for awhile, you probably know that I am adopted. And you would know that I located my biological mother. I have also been keeping in touch with her through email and now some texting. And that we have met once. All of the nervousness and craziness that I have felt, I have shared here on my blog. Now the story continues.

My mom always asks me if I have spoken to "Cathy" (my bio mom) when we speak. It finally dawned on me that my mom was worried. She says she is only worried that I might get hurt but I have a feeling there is more to it than that. I finally told my mom, "look you are my mom, there is no one else that can take your place. I don't need Cathy, I need you". She is my mom. Period.Now my mom doesn't seem to ask anymore. It's got to be hard for the moms who adopt. But my mom, is my "real" mom and I want her to know that. My dad too, he needs to know that he is my dad, my only dad.

Now that doesn't mean that I don't care, or possibly love, Cathy. She has given my parents and me the greatest gift of love. And she did so unselfishly. The only issue with Cathy is that she has never told her loved ones about me. They do not know that she gave up a child when she was sixteen. She never even told her, now deceased, husband. Brothers, sisters, daughters, nobody knows. Someday, she might but today is not the day. It's all good.

Why am I writing about adoption today? Let me back up about a week.......

My cell phone rang and Cathy's name showed up on the caller I.D.  Strange, yes. We have only spoken on the phone once or twice and that was when we were meeting up and we were trying to find each other, in a very small town (lol).
Cathy told me that my bio dad had reached out to her via FB. I asked her if she was okay and how she felt about him contacting her.. and she said she was okay. "Tim" asked if she remembered him but never said anything about me. He didn't even leave anyway to contact him. It was surreal for both of us. I am glad that we are at the point in our relationship that we can kind of joke around with each other because neither of us really knew what to say about it. Together, we checked him out on FB. There was a picture and Cathy said that the picture was him. The site hadn't been updated for a couple of years so that left us with little information. And for me, unfortunately he had sunglasses on, so I didn't really know what he looked like. But there is a picture and a human being. WOW!

Do you know how much it costs to hire a private investigator. Well it costs enough that finding my bio dad was not going to happen that way. Geez, forget being a lawyer, I want to be a PI. I did send him a friend request and a message but that was about all I could do right now.

Is that it? Nope, the story continues.

He accepts my friend request and update his FB page. I texted Cathy and told her. Then she tells me that the two of them have been messaging each other. What? She hadn't mentioned me yet and he hadn't either. Cathy asked if I wanted her to mention me and I said yes. She said that they were going to talk on the phone that night (last night). Holy cow!

This morning, I have a message from him and he wants to get to know me. Can you hear how loud my heart is beating right now? I will let you all know when something happens. I just wanted to share this news with all of you.

Tim & Cathy are not their real names, I just made them up. Not very creative but writing Antoinette or Maximilian seemed a little tedious.








14 comments:

  1. Wow Blondie...things are really moving along aren't they. I'm happy you are able to get to know your bio parents, get questions answered and develop a friendship with them. I'm sorry 'Cathy' isn't at a place to let her other children know about you...she could live to regret that. I come at adoption from the other side...my mom gave up my sister for adoption (long story) and I knew nothing about it for years. She finally reached out to my mom after her adoptive parents both passed away several years ago and mom refused to have any contact with her.

    I do understand how your mom feels...many people refer to biological parents as the "real" parents...pulease! A real parent is the one who walked the floors with a colicky baby, wore old clothes so their kid could go to camp, and had the patience not to kill the rebellious teen! I can tell, just by your blog, that your parents are awesome people.

    Hope everything works out well getting to know 'Tim'.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend on the other side. She gave up her daughter 44 years ago - not here choice, her mothers and she was too young and scared to stand up to her. She and her daughter recently found one another and all is well. They have now met each other's families. My friend found out she has two more grand children and a great grand child too! She has met the 'real' mom, the one that raised the girl. They are all happily getting to know one another, not intruding, just being there. I love happy ending and 'to be continueds'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Absolutely amazing! I'm so happy for you!!! I read your blog but am not sure if I've ever commented as I rarely do. I love that you are a fellow Californian though :)
    Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blondie! This is exciting and surreal all at the same time. May your reunion be fulfilling on all fronts. I love your story but especially the care you took in reassuring your Mom of her place in your heart. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blondie that is fantastic you have been in touch with your bio dad. My brother adopted a little girl who was so spoilt, she had everything. Not sure if she has ever reached out to her bio family. Good luck, hope everything goes well for you all.
    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Blondie, this is so wonderful. How fantastic that you are able to connect with both of your biological parents. Wishing you all the very best and hope meeting Tim is as fulfilling as meeting Cathy was. I'm sorry Cathy isn't in the place at the moment where she feels able to tell her other children about you. I'm sure that will come in time.

    I love how you reassured your Mom too. They are the parents who raised and took care of you.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you reassured your mom too, I'm sure she appreciated hearing that she is your mom in every way.
    I'm excited you are going to get to meet your bio dad. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading all about this Blondie. I can totally understand the mix of emotions that you and your family must feel as you go all through this, but you sound as if you have a good handle on it all, realistic expectations and the ability to reassure your mum too. Good luck xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Blondie, I'm so excited and happy you are going to get to meet your bio dad. Good luck.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW how exciting! I am so happy that he reached out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope everything works out just the way you need it to, whatever that may be...if you even know. LOL.

    willie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully written, Blondie. You've shown that what matters most in "complicated" family situations is love, and respect. That's true of life in general, and I wish it was more broadly recognized.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow amazing baby ...i hope now you are well baby.I'm so excited and happy you are going to get to meet your bio dad. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you reassured your mom so lovingly - your mom is always your mom...so sweet and caring. I am glad at the possibilities for you to get to know your biological parents better. Thinking of you and wishing it all goes well. Hugs

    ReplyDelete